If you suspect the Mac version of VLRE is not working properly, try the following steps in the order listed to identify and fix the problem.
- Check the VLRE Log file in Console.app.
- Run VLRE manually in Terminal.app.
- Download and run ComplianceChecker.app.
- Remove and reinstall VLRE.
- Submit a Help ticket.
Check the VLRE Log file in Console.app
If VLRE is at version 1.1 or later and you have selected to enable logging during the installation you can view the results of the hourly VLRE check-ins.
To inspect the VLRE log file:
- Launch Applications > Utilities > Console.app.
- Navigate to /Library/Logs/Stanford/vlre.log.
Each entry is separated by "================================" (a series of equal signs).
- Note the date and time of the last entry. It should be within the past 2 hours unless the Mac has been powered off or in “sleep” mode.
- The last line of each check-in entry includes the text “Updated database record for VLRE ID xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx“.
- If that text is not present or the last run time is more than 2 hours in the past while the Mac has been powered on and not in “sleep” mode, manually run VLRE in Terminal.app.
Manually run VLRE in Terminal.app
- Launch Applications > Utilities > Terminal.app.
- Enter the following command into the terminal:
sudo /Library/Application\ Support/Stanford/VLRE/VLRE
- Press RETURN.
- If the check-in was successful you will see the following text:
- If you do not see the text in the step above, run the command in Terminal.app again and add “-debug” to the end of the command.
sudo /Library/Application\ Support/Stanford/VLRE/VLRE -debug
- Copy all the resulting text and paste it into a text file. Save the file in case you need to submit a Help ticket.
Download and run ComplianceChecker.app
- Download ComplianceChecker for Mac.
- Mount the disk image.
- Run Compliance Checker.pkg This installs the ComplianceChecker.app into “tmp” space and launches it. (At the next logout or reboot the ComplianceChecker.app will be deleted automatically.)
- Examine the information in the item labeled Monitoring System. This will tell you if VLRE is working correctly.
Remove and reinstall VLRE
- Download and run VLRE Cleaner.pkg.
- VLRE Cleaner.pkg is downloaded to the default downloads location with Safari.app.
- Launch VLRE Cleaner.pkg.
- After running VLRE Cleaner.pkg confirm that /Library/Application Support/Stanford/VLRE/ contains only files called vlre_config.plist and VLRE_ID.txt.
- Launch a browser and get the latest version of VLRE for Mac from the VLRE service site.
- Mount the InstallVLREencrypt.dmg file.
- Run VLREInstaller.pkg.
Submit a Help ticket
If you still need assistance, please submit a Help ticket.