- Tap Contacts and then tap the plus sign in the top right-hand corner of the Contacts screen. The Add Contact window opens.
- Type in a name, SID, or email address and Jabber searches for potential matches.
- Tap the desired contact name from the search results.
- Add the contact name to a group or to favorites (optional).
- Tap Done. The name displays on your Contacts list.
- If someone tries to add you to their contact list, you will receive a notification to accept or decline their request (even if you already have them on your contact list).
- Tap the red notification and then tap Accept or Decline.
Start a chat
- To start a chat, you can go to the Chats screen to see a list of recent chat contacts, or you can go to the Contacts screen and tap a contact's name.
- A chat window opens up. Type your message and tap Send.
Start a chat from search
- Another option for starting chats is to go to the navigation drawer and type in the name of the person you wish to contact in the search bar. This method will search both your list of known contacts and your work directory.
- Tap the name of the contact in the search results to begin the chat.
Chat with people outside of your Stanford affiliation or outside of Stanford
Did you know that you can use Jabber to talk to people outside of your organization? This means that Stanford University employees can communicate with employees from Stanford Health Care and vice versa, and that anyone at Stanford can also communicate with people who chat with an XMPP service.
- You cannot use Jabber to chat with people who use Google, Yahoo, or AIM chat services. These services are not XMPP.
- Do not attempt to search for someone from another affiliation by using the Search feature within Jabber. The Search feature only works for searches within an affiliation at Stanford, i.e., Stanford University employees searching for other Stanford University employees, or Stanford Health Care employees searching for other SHC employees.
- If you are chatting with someone who has a different affiliation at Stanford or who is outside of Stanford, you are not able to see that person's availability status until you add them as a contact and they accept your authorization request.
- If you are an employee from Stanford University and you receive a contact request from someone at SHC, you will only see their SID number instead of their full name. To see their name in future chats, you must add them as a contact and change their display name.
Begin the chat
- Open Contacts within your Jabber app, then tap the plus sign in the top right corner of the screen.
- Tap Add Contacts.
- If you are a University employee adding a contact from Stanford Health Care, enter their SID@stanfordmed.org in the search field.
If you are an SHC employee adding a contact from the University, enter their SUNet ID@stanford.edu in the search field.
If you are adding a contact outside of Stanford and you are sure they use an XMPP service, enter their email address, e.g., firstname.lastname@example.org.
Assign the person to a group, and then tap Done.