Converged Communications is a billing and ordering model that allows for the consolidation of various communications services into one bundle. This bundle includes Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) telephone service, voice messaging, network access, and standard telephone models.
The benefits of the Converged Communications model are:
- Savings for network and phone services
- Opportunity to clean up telephone records and reduce telephone expenses
- Predictability for budget planning and billing, with an annually established rate, billed on a monthly basis
- Simplified administration
- Robust, flexible, and feature-rich phone service
- A dedicated service team to help you plan, audit, and deploy your department's service
The Converged Communications model offers these additional benefits:
- A network port that supports telephone and data services
- Professionally managed, 24x7 network support and all network devices (voice and data switches) needed to support the local network
Note: Stanford Health Care (SHC) and Stanford Children’s Health (SCH) departments should refer to Telephone Services for SHC and SCH for information about the feature set available in their environment.
Scope of service
What is included in the service:
- Telephone service with Stanford University identity (phone number)
- Local and domestic long distance dialing
- Voice Messaging
- Jabber SoftPhone — place and receive calls from your desktop or laptop computer
- Standard VoIP or TDM (copper line) desk phone
- A network port that supports both telephone and network services
- 24x7 network and phone support
- Installation and routine maintenance (management of software revisions, including upgrades)
- Analog lines for fax machines and emergency phones
What is not included in the service:
- New requests for premium desk phones
- International dialing
- enhanced Automated Call Distribution (eACD)
- Auto Attendant menu
- Headsets for your desk phone or softPhone
- New Telecommunication Service Outlets (TSOs) and wiring, if required
- New building network infrastructure and wiring
The Converged Communications bundle is designed for Stanford University, SHC, and SCH departments and is contracted at the enterprise level. It is not intended for individuals or small groups.
For most non-formula units, telephone services provided to university departments are centrally funded by University IT (UIT) eliminating the need for unit-by-unit record keeping and billing, thereby reducing both the unit and UIT’s administrative burden.
SHC and SCH departments should refer to Telephone Services for Stanford Health Care and Stanford Children’s Health to learn about how to order services in the Converged Communications model.
To learn more about service pricing, contact your UIT Business Partner or submit a Help request.
Premium phone rates
Conference and video enabled phone models are not included in the cost of the service bundle. These phones will be billed a one-time charge.