To reach 9-1-1 emergency services
- Dial 9 + 911.
Local area calls
To reach another Stanford telephone
- Dial the last five digits of the telephone number.
For example, if the number is 725-4357, dial 5-4357.
Note: The Stanford system serves the University, the Medical Center, and on-campus student residences. Stanford phones have 10-digit numbers beginning with area code and 497, 498, 721, 723, 724, 725, or 736 (e.g., 650-725-4357). Note that from a non-Stanford phone, a caller must dial your full 10-digit phone number to reach you; non-Stanford callers cannot dial a five-digit number to reach you.
To reach an off-campus phone within the local area (all area codes including 650)
- Dial 9 + 1 + area code + seven-digit telephone number.
Long distance calls
Area code 650 outside the local area
- Dial 9 + 1 + 650 + seven-digit telephone number
Outside 650 within the U.S. and Canada
- Dail 9 + 1 + area code + seven-digit telephone number
International: direct dial countries
- Dial 9 + 011 + country code + city code + telephone number
Calls to directory information
Information for Stanford
Information for Stanford University and Medical Center is provided by the Stanford operator.
- From the hospitals: Dial 200
- From the university: Dial 3-2300
Information for area code 650
- Dial 9 + 411
Information for other area codes
- Dial 9 + 1 + area code + 555-1212
International long-distance is now included as part of the business telephone service plan.