Authority Manager is a web application that serves as a central location for Stanford managers to grant system privileges to employees to perform administrative tasks in University systems.
In addition to maintaining the master record of who is authorized to do what in which system, it notifies participating business systems of any changes to an employee's authority so the business systems can allow or prevent access accordingly.
Authority Manager does not replace native security tools in administrative applications.
- Allows managers to grant privileges to employees for specified organizations
- Allows managers to limit privileges to specific populations. As long as the manager meets the prerequisites and conditions of the authority, they will be able to access the affected systems within the specified conditions.
- Works for common authority definitions across University systems
- Provides a high-level view of a manager's authority across University systems
- Allows managers to grant privileges with prerequisites, conditions, and limits
Faculty, staff, and students
An active SUNet ID
Not intended for use with Moderate or High Risk Data, as defined by the Information Security Office.
Free of charge
Anyone with a SUNet ID can log in to Authority Manager to see what authority they have been granted.
If you have been granted authority, you may have received an email indicating that there are training or qualification tasks you need to complete before the authority can be activated. The prerequisites you need to complete are listed in the email; or to look up your current prerequisites status:
- Log in to Authority Manager and view your own authority.
- Look in the status column for: pending prerequisites.
- Click the icon to see a list of prerequisites and their current status.
- For questions or support, submit a Help request
- To view a recorded demo on navigating the new interface, visit the Authority Manager Enhancements project page
- What is Authority Manager?
- What's New in Authority Manager?
- Navigate the New Interface
- How to Grant Authority
- How to Edit or Revoke Authority
- How to Copy Authority
- How to Request Actions (When You Don't Have Authority)
- How to Edit Requests
- Who Can Grant Me Authority?
- How to Approve or Deny Authority
- How to Add or Change Proxy Settings
- How to Complete Authority Manager Prerequisites
- How to Restore Authority
- Authority Manager Terminology
- Authority Manager FAQs
- Authority Reports
- Authority Setup Utility