The Secure File Storage service provides a way for faculty, staff and departments to transmit and store Moderate, High Risk, PHI and PHI2 Data. It is for both Windows and Macintosh desktop and laptop computers. Individual and group accounts are available.
The university provides Secure File Storage as a low cost service to encourage staff and faculty to store Moderate, High Risk, PHI, and PHI2 Data in a central location, off of the local computer.
- Security: Provides authenticated access to named file shares.
- Access: The data is accessible from multiple client operating system platforms.
- Data Integrity: Supports the typical set of file operations: open, close, read, write, and seek.
- Physical Security: The data is stored on Storage platforms located in the secure enterprise data center facility.
- Reliability: The data is stored in redundant hardware.
- Recoverability: Point-in-time snapshots are taken of the data several times a day.
- Data is protected and virus scanned while stored on center storage servers.
- Supported protocol: CIFS/Windows (SMBv2+)
- Data is encrypted at rest.
- Data in transit is encrypted (via SMBv3 and/or VPN).
- Provides an option for groups of staff, faculty and departments to have shared file storage.
- Secondary data copy (Mirror or Backup) to secondary storage or to cloud available.
Current faculty and staff; workgroups.
- A valid SUNet ID.
- Moderate, High Risk, PHI, and PHI2 data have strict requirements. See the ISO risk classifications.
- Service subscription required.
May be used to store and transmit Low, Moderate, and High Risk Data, as defined by the Information Security Office.
Your Department Contact can order Secure File Storage for both individual and group accounts via OrderIT. If ordering a group account, please provide the name of the Stanford Workgroup with the OrderIT. Secure File Storage is available to faculty and staff by subscription and is charged monthly to your department’s University IT billing statement at the same rate as File Storage.
After you have placed your order, the Enterprise Technology Storage Team will contact you with details on how to connect to your Secure File data storage.