Wi-Fi Calling is the ability to make mobile phone calls using a Wi-Fi connection rather than the mobile cellular network. Wi-Fi Calling is useful when you are in an area that has weak cellular coverage.
- AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon smartphones support Voice over Wi-Fi Calling for the best call coverage indoors and outdoors.
- You can set Wi-Fi Calling as the default way for your phone to place a call, or if you lose phone signal, your phone will automatically switch to Wi-Fi Calling.
The following devices support the Wi-Fi Calling feature:
- iPhone 6 and higher, running iOS 9.3 and higher
- Samsung S5 and higher
To activate Wi-Fi Calling, follow the directions below for your smartphone.
- Go to Settings
- Go to Cellular
- Go to Wi-Fi Calling
- Move the slider to turn on Wi-Fi Calling.
- You will have to confirm your address for emergency services. It is recommended that you use an address that you spend a majority of your time at for 911 services.
- Go to Settings.
- Go to Advanced Calling.
- Go to Activate Wi-Fi Calling.
- Move the slider to turn on Wi-Fi calling.
- You might need to enter a provided verification code and confirm your address for emergency services.
When Wi-Fi Calling is available, you will see "Wi-Fi" after your carrier name in the status bar of your smartphone.
Please note this additional information about using Wi-Fi Calling:
- There is no additional charge for calls to U.S. numbers and other domestic calls.
- Wi-Fi calls to international numbers incur international long distance charges.
- "International calling plan rates" (if added) apply while calling from other countries.
- Use of Wi-Fi Calling might be restricted in some countries.
If you are experiencing problems setting up or using Wi-Fi calling, verify that:
- your smartphone model is supported
- your iPhone is running iOS 9.3 or higher
- Wi-Fi Calling is available in your area
- the IMEI/Sim card in your device is updated in the carrier portal
Help and more information
To learn more about the Wi-Fi Calling feature, please visit the following web pages:
For additional support, please call the Stanford UIT Service Desk at 650-725-4357 (5-HELP), option 3.