You can store your files in the cloud with Google Drive. You can also install the desktop and mobile application to access your files from your computer or Android or iOS mobile device. Google Drive's built-in sync capability ensures that your files, folders, and Google Docs are the same on all your devices.
You can use Google Drive for desktop to stream My Drive and Shared drives files directly from the cloud. This desktop application allows you to open and edit most document types directly out of Drive for desktop. When you make edits to the file, the changes are automatically saved in Drive for desktop and synced back to the cloud when an internet connection is available.
Please note that if you are working with a group of colleagues, Google Shared drives is designed for collaborative efforts and may fit your needs better.
Google Docs editors are built in to Google Drive. The Google Docs collaboration suite includes Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms, and Drawings.
- Unlimited free storage space (please see blue notification at the top of this page)
- You can upload 750 GB of data per day.
- You can upload files up to 5 TB in size.
- If a single file exceeds the 750 GB daily limit, that file will upload. Subsequent files will not upload until the daily upload limit resets the next day.
- Works on PC and Mac computers and iOS and Android mobile devices.
- Built-in sync capability ensures that your files, folders, and Google Docs are the same on all your devices.
- Powerful search capability.
- Google Drive links can replace email attachments, providing access to the same file.
Current faculty, staff, and students.
- A full-service SUNet ID.
- See the system requirements page if you want to install Google Drive on your computer or mobile device.
Google Drive can be used to store Low, Moderate, and High Risk Data, as defined by the Information Security Office, with the exception of Protected Health Information (PHI). Only approved for PHI data with Cardinal Key. Though not a requirement for PHI data, if you will be only sharing PHI data with internal Stanford community members, follow the steps in all applicable requirements to facilitate workgroup integration for easier user management.
- Until Aug. 31, 2024: Free unlimited storage
- Sept. 1, 2024 - Aug. 31, 2025: Up to 500 GB at no cost; $0.15 / GB / year $12.50 over 50 GB
- After Sep 1, 2025: Up to 50 GB at no cost; $0.15 / GB / year for over 50 GB
(Note: My Drive storage limits will be adjusted for those who use Stanford Gmail)
For assistance, please submit a Help ticket.