Email Virtual Domain provides Stanford departments and business groups with their own vanity email domain forwarding.
For example, Email Virtual Domain enables department foo to list its email as foo.stanford.edu. Department and group administrators can manage the email aliases for their domains via a web interface.
- Emails to aliases at the virtual domain have the same virus and junk mail filtering as emails to the @stanford.edu domain.
- Emails to aliases at the virtual domain are subject to the same secure email routing and encryption rules as emails to the @stanford.edu domain.
- A virtual domain can have secondary domains. Emails to secondary domains will be treated and routed the same as emails to the primary domain.
- Users can have e-mail addresses with an '@mydepartment.stanford.edu' suffix.
Stanford organizations, departments, and groups
This service is not currently available to Stanford subdomains using the Web Virtual Host (Vanity URL) service. This service does not support Stanford subdomains that are aliases for third-party non-Stanford domains.
Free of charge
To request the service, a department or group administrator should submit a Help request.
For example, to request the virtual domain uit.stanford.edu, the group administrator should submit a Help request with the following information:
- Domain: uit.stanford.edu
- Secondary domains (optional): universityit.stanford.edu, university-it.stanford.edu
- Management workgroup: uit:administrators
- Contact email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- PTA: xxxxxxx-xxx-xxxxx
Note: The account number is required only to validate requests; there is currently no charge for Email Virtual Domain service.
For assistance, submit a Help ticket.