The Shared Email service is typically used by departments that need a general email address, by student organizations and clubs to share information, and by workgroups large and small to collaborate with co-workers.
Group mailbox: Mail sent to the Shared Email address can be sent to a mailbox accessible to all group members. You can read mail in this account using Webmail or a desktop email program, such as Outlook.
Forwarding address: Mail sent to the Shared Email address can be forwarded to a mailing list or to the designated individual mailbox of each group member. You can forward up to three address, which can be a combination of lists and individuals.
The Shared Email service is available by request.
- 100 GB of email storage
- Use Webmail or a desktop email program to access your shared mailbox
- Access to shared mailboxes is managed via Workgroup Manager
Current faculty, staff, and students.
- A full-service SUNet ID is required for all users of the service.
- Your @stanford.edu address needs to be the email address used for your directory listing.
- The mailbox must be sponsored by a Stanford faculty member, manager (as defined by Human Resources), or individual who has been expressly granted the privilege to sponsor.
- Account names (the portion of the email address before the @ symbol) must be 9 characters or longer, not including any dots or dashes.
- Approved for all risk classifications, as defined by the Stanford University Information Security Office.
- Access to Stanford-provided email is controlled by SUNet IDs and passwords; it is a serious violation of University policy to share your SUNet ID and password with anyone. Hence, Shared Email is the only legitimate way to share a Stanford-provided email address with anyone else for any purpose.
Free of charge.
To create a shared mailbox:
- Sponsor a shared email account. The mailbox must be sponsored by a Stanford faculty member, manager (as defined by Human Resources), or individual who has been expressly granted the privilege to sponsor.
- Complete and submit the Shared Email Request form. The form requests the sponsor's SUNet ID.
For assistance, please submit a Help request.
- Set Up and Manage Shared Email
- Shared Email internal operations page (access restricted)