Class email lists enable you to send announcements easily to everyone associated with your class. When you register for Email Announcement Lists, University IT creates an e-mail distribution list of all your students (along with three other email lists described below). This student list is kept up-to-date automatically, using current enrollment data from the Registrar, so you won’t have to subscribe or unsubscribe students as they add or drop the class. Please note that students’ "@stanford.edu" email addresses are the ones used for University IT class email lists. Students who use another account as a primary email address will need to forward the @stanford.edu address to the preferred address using StanfordYou.
Following are the lists included with University IT Course Support:
- Created and updated automatically:
- <classname>-<quarter>-students — Example: email@example.com
- A list containing only the class students. The student list is auto-populated with information from the Registrar; it cannot be customized.
- <classname>-<quarter>-all — Example: firstname.lastname@example.org
- A list containing all members of the “students” list (Registrar-controlled) plus the members of the “staff” and “guests” lists.
- Initially created and populated automatically, but updated manually via lists.stanford.edu:
- <classname>-<quarter>-staff — Example: email@example.com
- A list containing only the class staff members.
- Initially created automatically, but populated and updated manually via lists.stanford.edu:
- <classname>-<quarter>-guests — Example: firstname.lastname@example.org
- A list containing only the class guests, such as invited speakers.
|Controlled by the staff supporting the course.||Closed list. New member subscriptions must be approval by staff supporting the course.||Open. Anyone can send email to this list.||Initially populated automatically from information you provide on the registration form.|
|Membership is controlled automatically. Staff can use lists.stanford.edu to see the names/emails of students on the list.||Initially, closed and locked.
Uses student’s SUNetID@stanford.edu address.
|Initial setting is to allow staff postings only. Staff can change privileges via lists.stanford.edu.||Updated daily with data from the Registrar.|
|Membership is controlled by staff supporting the course.||Closed by default.
Staff can open the list to anyone.
|Staff postings only.||Populated by staff (if closed), or populated by people wanting access (if opened).|
|Limited to course staff, students enrolled in the course, and guests.||Closed and locked.||Staff postings only.||Automatic.|