How can I participate in Global Accessibility Awareness Day?
Global Accessibility Awareness Day (GAAD) focuses on digital access and inclusion for the more than one billion people with disabilities worldwide. This year’s GAAD is May 18.
While it’s important to implement accessibility best practices all year round, there are many ways you can participate in GAAD, solidifying your commitment to creating an accessible digital landscape for all.
Where to start
Start by utilizing resources on the Office of Digital Accessibility website.
These resources include:
- Digital content guides: Have a presentation planned? Creating modules in Canvas? Follow step-by-step guides for common software applications to improve the accessibility of your digital content and engage with diverse audiences.
- Concepts breakdowns: Unsure how to write effective alternative text? Need help captioning video content? Get well-versed in accessibility best practices to improve content clarity and accessibility.
- Office hours: Have questions? Need your website content evaluated for accessibility? Sign up for accessibility office hours to answer questions, conduct evaluations, and more.
There are several online GAAD events you can attend throughout this month or next:
- How to Work with the Office of Digital Accessibility on May 23 at 12 p.m. PDT: In this 45-minute session, team members will share how they can support you in creating and procuring accessible content, and highlight the services and tools they provide.
- Remediating PDF Documents with Equidox on May 23 at 1:45 p.m. PDT: Learn how to use Equidox for accessibility remediation and review of your PDF documents.
- Increasing Accessibility with Captioning on May 26 at 11 a.m. PDT: After the session, you will be able to upload a video and edit captions, as well as have a better understanding of captioning options at Stanford.
- And several more