Local area calls
To reach another Stanford telephone
- Dial the last five digits of the telephone number.
For example, if the number is 725-4636, dial 5-4636 (this is the 5-INFO number).
Note: The Stanford system serves the University, the Medical Center, and on-campus student residences. Stanford phones have 7-digit numbers beginning with 723, 725, 497 or 498. Note that from a non-Stanford phone, a caller must dial your full 7-digit phone number to reach you; non-Stanford callers cannot dial a five-digit number to reach you.
To reach an off-campus phone within the local area
- AREA CODE 650
Dial 9 + seven-digit telephone number.
AREA CODE 764, 408, 669 or 510
Dial 9 + 1 + area code + seven-digit telephone number.
To reach 9-1-1 emergency services
- Dial 9 + 911.
Connects to the Palo Alto 911 dispatch for a medical/police/fire emergency.
Long distance calls
Area code 650 outside the local area
- Dial 9 + 1 + 650 + seven-digit telephone number ...
Outside 650 within the U.S. & Canada
- Dail 9 + 1 + area code + seven-digit telephone number ...
International: direct dial countries
- Dial 9 + 011 + country code + city code + telephone number ...
International: non-direct dial countries
- To call a non-direct dial location, dial 200 for a Stanford operator or see the instructions see the next instructions below for calling card and assisted calls.
Information for Stanford
Information for Stanford University and Medical Center is provided by the Stanford operator.
- Dial 200
Information for area code 650
- Dial 9 + 411
Information for other area codes
- Dial 9 + 1 + area code + 555-1212