High-Speed Internet Service
University IT at Stanford University provides a high-speed Internet service that offers speeds of up to 1 gigabit with a wired connection. Please remember, bandwidth is affected by wiring in the buildings and other factors outside of Stanford's control. Wired connections are always faster than wireless connections. When possible, connect your computer directly to your Residential Gateway with an Ethernet cable.
Internet-only service available
Stanford will not offer television service. Residents who want television service have the option to work with local providers, such as Comcast and AT&T, to purchase a traditional TV or cable package or subscribe to a live TV streaming service. A streaming service functions similar to traditional TV but delivers content (movies, TV shows, sports, local news) using the internet.
This service does not allow you to host servers on your home network (i.e., no inbound connections initiated from the internet).
- Review our Frequently Asked Questions.
- For billing and other service questions, contact University IT Service Desk at 650-725-4357 (5-HELP), Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. or submit a Help request.
- After-hours and holidays, trouble calls are answered around the clock. System-wide problems (problems simultaneously affecting several customers) are immediately dispatched to on-call repair technicians; individual user problems are handled remotely whenever possible. When a technician visit to a residence is required, appointments are typically made for the next business day.
- Wired connections are always faster than wireless connections. When possible, connect your computer directly to your Residential Gateway with an Ethernet cable.
- Make sure that your equipment is up-to-date and properly configured. Older devices prior to 2015 may not perform as well due to their technical limitations.
- If you live in a larger home, you may need a Wifi-extender (such as Eero and Netgear Orbi) to receive a stronger signal in rooms further from your modem. Stanford does not currently offer wifi-extender devices or technical support for wifi-extender devices. For support, please contact the manufacturer of your chosen Wifi-extender.
For additional troubleshooting support, visit Get the Most From Your High-Speed Internet Service.
Stanford tech support may be able to suggest additional steps you can take to improve the signal strength in your home. Please remember, wireless bandwidth is affected by wiring in the buildings and other factors outside of Stanford's control.
If your wired connection is still slow, please submit a Help request.
You can make payments 24/7 using CASHNet, the university’s online billing and payment service. With CASHNet, you can also:
- Set up auto-payment from your bank account or credit card
- Authorize others to pay your bill online
- View activity since the last bill and the current account balance
- View billing history
For more information and user instructions, visit CASHNet Instructions: How to Pay Your Bill
Moving or cancelling service?
- You must submit a request to cancel services you no longer need. Credits will not be offered due to the non-cancellation of a service. A fee will be charged for equipment if not returned within 5 days (see Additional Fees section above). Drop off equipment to Puichon Hall at 169 Searsville Road, Stanford Mon-Fri from 8 a.m. - 3 p.m. View the Equipment Checklist to determine which items you may need to return.
- If you're moving within the same complex or another location on-campus, you must submit a request to disconnect your current service and add a new service at the new location. If moving service to a new TSO/Location within the same apartment please call the Service Desk at 650-725-4357 to have a technician scheduled to your location. A change fee will apply (see Additional Fees section above).
- Submit a request to cancel services.