In advance of each session, Tech Training will provide you with a Zoom link to your class, along with any required class materials.
This class will help advance your knowledge of Tableau Desktop visualization tool with advanced connectors, features, and graphs. Tableau is a leader for visualization and easy drag-and-drop interface to create high-quality graphs and dashboards.
- SQL and Data knowledge preferred
- Introduction to Tableau Desktop or equivalent knowledge of Tableau desktop tool
- SQL installation with valid data tables (optional).
- Installation of Tableau Desktop or a trial version, 1 day before training (Free trial is only 14 days). Download the trial version at: https://www.tableau.com/products/desktop/download
The Introduction to Tableau Desktop class helped you to understand what Data Analysis is and how to create multiple visualizations using Tableau. This intermediate session helps the trainees to initially remember all the basic knowledge received during the Beginners session. The session then deep dives into the tool and create additional graphs and reports with geographic data.
The usage of map graph in the real world and how to correct the issues in the data to generate appropriate maps graph is one of the main topics we are going to discuss. We will cover how to perform calculations in Tableau using the raw data sets received during analysis and simulate data analyst’s real-time work in Tableau. Later we will connect the Tableau tool to SQL database and learn how to extract data from single/multiple tables, use joins to analyze the data to create a better dashboard for presentation. We also view how to connect to a few more data sources.
We will also cover how to generate graphs and dashboards using these calculated fields and verify how the changes in the data/calculation affect the reports/dashboards.
One other important topic we will focus is on the Tableau Public profile we create during the training. We will use some basic data to start generating basic visualization in our Tableau Public profile, analyze how to use it effectively in real-world, share a few reports/graphs we generated in the class with fellow trainees. Learn about the way forward to keep us busy and visible in the Tableau users world.
- Learn the basic features of Tableau desktop and create a report using different parameters
- Understand how to create various type of reports for each type of datasets
- Perform some analytical operation and do calculations in Tableau
- Introduction to Maps / identify unrecognized co-ordinates / custom geo-coding
- Connect to Multiple tables and generate reports/dashboards/story
- Create Advance charts Motion chart, Donut chart, etc
- Learn Tableau Server for scheduling and sharing reports
- Course Introduction
- Introduction to Tableau Desktop
- Connect to an Excel datasheet, Perform Joins to blend and connect multiple datasets
- Use all the Cards, Sort, and Filters data for your analysis
- Introduction to table calculations in Tableau Desktop
- Create your first dashboard and Tell your story through captions
- Introduction to Maps graph and its usage
- Plot the co-ordinate points on the map and analyze multiple views
- Correct the unrecognized co-ordinates and custom geocoding
- Generate graphs and dashboards using these calculated fields
- Use Groups and Sets for Analysis
- Advance charts for Analysis Donut, Bump, Motion Charts
- Custom SQL query for in-depth analysis
- Solve a real-time business problem in the class and simulate the real-time working environment by yourself (Case Study)
- How to Schedule and share your file using Tableau server
- References and next steps
University IT Technology Training classes are only available to Stanford University staff, faculty, students and Stanford Hospitals & Clinics employees. A valid SUNet ID is needed in order to enroll in a class.