Effective immediately in response to COVID-19, all Technology Training classes will be delivered online until further notice.
In advance of each session, Tech Training will provide you with a Zoom link to your class, along with any required class materials.
Learn Tableau in a very hands-on approach to create reports, dashboards, and Stories connecting to several different data sources.
Pre-requisite: SQL and Data knowledge preferred.
This class is a hands-on introduction of data analysis and visualization in Tableau to understand the lifecycle of data analysis and the design of Tableau.
There will be several hands-on labs to explore Tableau’s basic features and connectivity with multiple databases. During the session you will create multiple types of graphs based on the data we select, and dashboard preparation. We will explore how to use the story feature for data analysis. You will also learn how to connect Tableau to data sources and form a real-time working environment.
In this course, you will have an opportunity to:
- Explore Gartner magic quadrant for Business Intelligence and Tableau’s leader position
- Explore the simplicity and ease of use of Tableau
- Understand the basic features and functionalities in Tableau
- Connect to an Excel datasheet and read the data in Tableau using Joins
- Prepare multiple types of reports/graphs with a given set of data
- Connect to multiple data sources at the same time and simulate real-time working environment
- Prepare a dashboard that combines multiple types of graphs/reports
- Create your own story and save the presentation as we publish to our executives and senior managers
- Find how easy it is to connect to various data sources
- Perform some analytical operation and do calculations in Tableau
- Simulate a data analyst’s basic performance during the class
- Course Introduction
- Data Analysis lifecycle and Tableau's role in the data analysis world
- Introduction to Tableau tool
- Features and Functionalities of Tableau
- Connection to an Excel data sheet to create our first graph
- Create multiple graphs based on the data and requirement of the scenarios
- Create a dashboard with multiple graphs/reports included in
- Create our own story in a way to present to executives / senior managers
- Do analytical operations and calculations to simulate data analysis work environment
- Perform all the above operations with the trainer during the session
- Connect to couple more data sources during the session
University IT Technology Training classes are only available to Stanford University staff, faculty, students and Stanford Hospitals & Clinics employees. A valid SUNet ID is needed in order to enroll in a class.