Effective immediately in response to COVID-19, most Technology Training classes will be delivered online until further notice.
In advance of each session, Tech Training will provide you with a Zoom link to your class, along with any required class materials.
This class covers how to create or delete database and tables, and how to grant/revoke access. Data insertion, deletion, or modification will be practiced.
Note: Instructions will be sent to learners prior to the class for how to install MySQL (Command line and MySQLWorkbench) as hands-on exercises will be practiced.
To ensure learners have the software installed, there will be a short Zoom session dedicated for software installation and any installation issues.
Topics covered in this class include:
- Introduction to databases and MySQL
- SQL Commands Types (DDL, DML, DCL, TCL)
- Creating users and grant/revoke accesses
- Creating schemas and tables
- Inserting, deleting, and updating data
- Data Retrieval using the SELECT statement
- SQL conversion functions: CASE, DATE_FORMAT, NULLIF, COALESCE, etc.
- Sorting and filtering data, wildcard filtering, and regular expressions.
- Manipulating and aggregating data: SUM, AVG, MAX, MIN, COUNT, and DISTINCT
- Working with Subqueries
- Joining tables: Inner versus Outer Joins; Left/Right Joins; and Full Outer Joins
- UNION, INTERSECT, and MINUS Operators
University IT Technology Training classes are only available to Stanford University staff, faculty, students, and Stanford Hospitals & Clinics employees. A valid SUNet ID is needed in order to enroll in a class.