Most Technology Training classes will be delivered online until further notice.
Before each sesson, Tech Training will provide a Zoom link for live online classes, along with any required class materials.
Discover the new powerful relational-database functionality hidden inside Excel and learn how to quickly build extremely flexible and beautiful reports with Power Pivot, an ideal tool for when your data is not all in one place.
Note: This functionality is not available in Excel for Mac. It is exclusive to MS Office on Windows.
Power Pivot is an analysis-and-reporting tool, which provides ultimate flexibility when preparing powerful, actionable, dynamic reports from your data. Even if your data comes from multiple sources.
Power Pivot contains a data modeling tool that gives you full-blown relational-database capabilities right in Excel - which had never been possible before.
If you work with datasets and must prepare reports in Excel and still yet to learn how to tap into the incredible power of Power Pivot, you are truly missing out.
In this class you will get a quick but solid introduction to Excel Power Pivot and become more comfortable handling data and preparing visual reports inside Excel.
Here’s a sample of what you’ll learn in class:
- The incredible benefits of Power Pivot to your data-management workflow - from importing data to creating robust visual reports.
- How to import data in Excel Power Pivot correctly - even if it comes from multiple sources.
- How to use Excel data-modeling tools to build your data model.
- Data modeling 101 - how to integrate datasets and create relationships in Power Pivot data model.
- A "Stars" vs. "Snowflakes" and what they have to do with data modeling.
- Several ways to add data to a data model before you build your reports.
- How to build, clean, and perfect data models - to make them as user-friendly as humanly possible.
- The important differences between traditional pivot tables and those you create from Excel data model. Plus pros and cons of each.
- Working with huge datasets: how to create a pivot table report if your data does not even fit inside Excel. (For example from a dataset of more than one hundred million records.)
- Boost flexibility (and usefulness) of your reports with powerful calculations using DAX - short for Data Analysis eXpressions - the formulas of Power Pivot.
- Time intelligence - slice and present your data from the calendar perspective. How to show running-total, year-to-date, month-to-date, fiscal-year and other time dimensions.
- Tips to redesign your data-management and data-reporting workflow for maximum efficiency and speed.
You should attend this class if:
- You want to discover more robust techniques to work with data than you use right now. (Especially if you get data from multiple data sources.)
- You want to learn how to use relational-database features inside Excel to connect separate data sources with maximum efficiency.
- You want to learn how to create beautiful, visually-appealing, refreshable reports based on Excel Data Models.
- You are already familiar with regular pivot tables and realize that you can do even better.
Prerequisites: Ideally, you should take this class if you are already familiar with regular pivot tables