Effective immediately in response to COVID-19, all Technology Training classes through the Spring Quarter will be held online.
In advance of each session, Tech Training will provide you with a Zoom link to your class, along with any required class materials.
This class covers several key skills and concepts no Excel user should be without. Learn the basics of Excel from formatting numbers and text to creating simple formulas and functions. This is a good place to start if you are an Excel beginner.
Class Outline & Topics:
Opening and saving files
- Using Save, Save as, New and Close commands
- File management keyboard shortcuts
- Inserting and deleting worksheets
- Renaming worksheets
- Moving and copying worksheets within and between workbooks
- Hiding and unhiding worksheets
Create formulas to sum, multiply and divide numbers
- Understanding cell references
Use simple functions in formulas
- SUM, COUNT, AVERAGE, MAX, MIN, PMT
Format numbers with styles
- Currency, fixed decimals, dates
Copy, cut and paste cell contents
- Basic techniques plus several shortcuts
Using find & replace
- Find on worksheet
- Find on all worksheets
- Hazards and how to avoid them
- Lock headings into position while scrolling
Participants should already have some exposure to Microsoft Office programs and should be comfortable using a computer. Ideally, participants will already be using Excel as part of their job.
University IT Technology Training classes are only available to Stanford University staff, faculty, or students. A valid SUNet ID is needed in order to enroll in a class.