Effective immediately in response to COVID-19, most Technology Training classes will be delivered online until further notice.
In advance of each session, Tech Training will provide you with a Zoom link to your class, along with any required class materials.
Employees can benefit from advanced Excel training in many ways. This Advanced Excel class covers on a number of critical Excel tools and functions skills that can be utilized to identify key information, organize data, and optimize work output.
Prerequisite: A beginner course in Excel or equivalent experience.
Excel provides users with the ability to calculate, organize, and evaluate quantitative data, allowing managers and senior staff to have the information they need to make important decisions that can affect the company.
There are over 500 functions to help us be more efficient in calculating numbers. By learning some of these advanced features, we can be more efficient with how we use the application.
During this course, participants will have the opportunity to learn how to:
- Translate an equation into a function
- Do calculations with dates and times
- Extend data with AutoFill
- Review absolute and relative cell references
- Use logical functions for what-if analysis
- Retrieve data with lookup tables
- Formulas vs. Functions and the Order of Operations
- Translating formulas into functions
- Basic functions (SUM, COUNT, AVERAGE, MAX, MIN, COUNT, ROUND, etc.)
- Measures of Central Tendency (MEDIAN, MODE, etc.)
- Dates and Times calculations & functions (NOW, TODAY, WEEKDAY, NETWORKDAYS, etc.)
- Review Absolute, Relative and Mixed References along with their role in functions and formulas
- AutoFilling a Formula and Patterns
- Exploring Auto Fill Options and Filling a Series
- Nesting Functions
- The role of blanks and zeros in formulas and functions
- Interpreting Error Values
- Quick Analysis Tool
- Working with the IF Logical Function
- Looking up Data with VLOOKUP/HLOOKUP
- Finding and Exact Match or Approximate Match with VLOOKUP/HLOOKUP
University IT Technology Training classes are only available to Stanford University staff, faculty, students and Stanford Hospitals & Clinics employees. A valid SUNet ID is needed in order to enroll in a class.