Effective immediately in response to COVID-19, most Technology Training classes will be delivered online until further notice.
In advance of each session, Tech Training will provide you with a Zoom link to your class, along with any required class materials.
This course covers basic database setup and writing SQL queries to select, filter, and aggregate data and combine multiple data tables. As a workshop, there will be a heavy emphasis on practice and interactive exercises.
- Prior experience with any programming language is not required, but helpful
- MySQL Workbench software (free download) required. Information on how to download will be sent to enrollees.
Participants will have the opportunity learn how to do basic SQL queries and set up a sample database. There will be a heavier focus on retrieving data effectively from an existing data warehouse environment owned by someone else rather than setting up your own and administering it.
- Learn to write SQL queries to select, filter, and aggregate data
- Learn to write SQL queries that join multiple data tables together
Breakdown of Topics:
- SQL overview: dialects, tables & schemas, data types
- Sample database setup
- Selecting data: SELECT, FROM, LIMIT
- Filtering data: WHERE, AND/OR, IN/BETWEEN/LIKE, DISTINCT, NULL values
- Ordering data: ORDER BY
- Aggregating data: COUNT, AVG, MIN, MAX, SUM, GROUP BY, HAVING
- Joining tables with a join key
- Types of joins: INNER, OUTER, LEFT, RIGHT