Effective immediately in response to COVID-19, most Technology Training classes will be delivered online until further notice.
In advance of each session, Tech Training will provide you with a Zoom link to your class, along with any required class materials.
This introductory InDesign class covers basic principles of typography and graphic design. You will have the opportunity to learn about InDesign tools and functions used to design visually effective designs in newsletters.
No prior InDesign experience is necessary. Just bring your creative and open mind.
In this class you will have the opportunity to learn how to create a visually compelling four-page newsletter by going step-by-step in InDesign. The top InDesign tools and functions will be demonstrated and used to design the newsletter. Best typography and design practices are an integral part of the class so that the visual components of your layout will be effective in conveying the subject matter and drawing the viewer in. Create visually effective designs to convey your subject matter and connect with your audience by learning and applying best typography and design practices.
By the end of this class, you will have learned how to navigate and design with InDesign. The vehicle for learning the top InDesign tools and functions will be the design of a newsletter. You will be introduced to page layouts (headings, body text, placing images and graphics). You will learn and apply best typographic practices with step-by-step instructions in InDesign to create your own design solution. We will explore these design objectives:
- Adobe InDesign: Top 10 Tools and Functions with step-by-step learning to create the design
- Elements of Typography & Design: hierarchy, rhythm, movement, contrast, color, balance
- Typographic composition: size, scale, weights, placement
- Font selection: serif, sans-serif, subject
- Working with images: image file preparation, placement
- Principles of Typography: best practices, leading, kerning
- Elements of Graphic Design
- Adobe InDesign: setting up documents, type tool, using layers, paragraph styles, color modes and swatches, working with images, file preparation for production and posting online