University IT maintains a site license for Smartsheet, the popular online project management/collaboration tool.
Stanford community members with a full service SUNet ID may purchase a license to access the centralized Stanford Smartsheet instance for an annual fee, payable via a departmental account (PTA).
Those who currently have personal individual licenses for Smartsheet are invited to switch to the Stanford site license to take advantage of the benefits of the centralized offering.
The Stanford Smartsheet offering provides benefits not available to those who purchase licenses directly from Smartsheet, including:
- Unlimited sheets, reports, dashboards, forms, and file storage
- Smartsheet Dashboards
- Ability to track solution adoption, updates to content, sharing, and more via Activity Log
- Access to the Smartsheet Center of Excellence training portal
- Access to add-on premium features on Smartsheet’s available on Stanford's plan: Dynamic View, Pivot, DataMesh, and Data Uploader
- Prioritized end-user support from Smartsheet (via smartsheet.com/gethelp)
- Access to Stanford's Smartsheet Customer Success Manager for assistance with your Smartsheet goals and objectives. Request via a Help ticket.
- Ability to create automated actions such as approval workflows, update requests, and more
- Stanford-specific programs and training
- Live data connector capability (connect live Smartsheet data to analytics tools such as Tableau or Excel)
Current faculty, staff, and students with a full-service SUNet ID
This service should only be used for High Risk data, including protected health information as defined by the Information Security Office.
Before introducing regulated data into Smartsheet, review the important considerations below:
- No other Smartsheet environments are approved for High Risk Data —only the University IT Smartsheet platform is approved. Work exclusively in that environment.
- Review and apply Stanford’s Minimum Privacy Standards to all data and its use.
- For PHI, be sure your team is aware of their responsibility to maintain compliance with Stanford’s HIPAA policies and Smartsheet’s HIPAA Implementation Guide.
- Per Stanford’s Minimum Security Standards for applications, periodically review who can access sensitive information in Smartsheet.
$250 per license, renewed annually on November 1 regardless of the initial purchase date. You must provide a departmental PTA to be billed for the license.
- Initial purchases will be pro-rated quarterly based on the November 1 date
- The license will be renewed automatically each year and the PTA charged for the renewal unless the department cancels with University IT prior to November 1
- No refunds are provided for licenses canceled mid-year
Who needs to purchase a Smartsheet license?
A Smartsheet license is required to create new content (sheets, reports, dashboards, forms); modify sheet structures (add/move/delete/reformat columns); and manage resources. It is not necessary to purchase licenses for individuals who will be collaborators (i.e., those who need only to view sheets and update rows). A Sheet owner may share a sheet with any individual who needs to collaborate as a viewer and updater--- no license required for the collaborator.
NOTE: When sharing a sheet with a colleague, be sure to use the SUNetID@stanford.edu form of the person's email address to ensure a smooth login experience.
Go to the Stanford Software Licensing Web Store to purchase your license. A Department PTA is required.
Submit a Help ticket if you have questions about setting up a Smartsheet account or switching from an individually purchased account to the centralized Stanford Smartsheet. Information about how to use the tool may be found in the “Help” section within the application and via the Get Started with Smartsheet page.
- Submit a Help ticket for assistance with account setup
- Visit the Smartsheet Support Center for information about the tool itself — current system status information is available at http://status.smartsheet.com/
- Submit specific questions about using the tool at smartsheet.com/gethelp
- Become a Smartsheet power user: Take the Smartsheet training class offered by UIT or request custom Smartsheet individual or team training
- See Smartsheet's website to learn more about the tool
- Smartsheet Approved for PHI and Other High Risk Data
- Enroll in Smartsheet’s live online training, SmartStart.
- On-site Smartsheet training class at Stanford
- Align Your Teams with Smartsheet
- Stanford Colleagues Reveal Their Formulas for Smartsheet Success