University IT maintains a site license for Smartsheet, the popular online project management/collaboration tool.
Stanford community members with a full-service SUNet ID may purchase a license to access the centralized Stanford Smartsheet instance for an annual fee, payable via a departmental account (PTA).
Those who currently have personal individual licenses for Smartsheet are invited to switch to the Stanford site license to take advantage of the benefits of the centralized offering.
The Stanford Smartsheet offering provides benefits not available to those who purchase licenses directly from Smartsheet, including:
- Unlimited sheets, reports, dashboards, forms, and file storage
- Smartsheet Dashboards
- Access to add-on premium features available on Stanford's plan (look for new premium features to be added by November 2021)
- Ability to track solution adoption, updates to content, sharing, and more via Activity Log
- Ability to create automated actions such as approval workflows, update requests, and more
- Access to the Smartsheet University training portal
- Access to pro-desks, 1: 1 coaching and building sessions with Smartsheet Experts, up to10 per licensed user per year (available in November 2021)
- Prioritized end-user support from Smartsheet via smartsheet.com/gethelp
- Ability to email Stanford's Smartsheet Customer Success Manager for assistance with Smartsheet goals and objectives.
- Stanford-specific programs and training —regularly scheduled classes and custom training —available via University IT Tech Training
Note: To access the premium apps for the first time, you’ll need to click the links below for each app and follow the login prompts:
Current faculty, staff, and students with a full-service SUNet ID
This service may be used for High Risk data, including protected health information as defined by the Information Security Office.
Before introducing regulated data into Smartsheet, review the important considerations below:
- No other Smartsheet environments are approved for High Risk Data —only the University IT Smartsheet platform is approved. Work exclusively in that environment.
- Review and apply Stanford’s Minimum Privacy Standards to all data and its use.
- For PHI, be sure your team is aware of their responsibility to maintain compliance with Stanford’s HIPAA policies and Smartsheet’s HIPAA Implementation Guide.
- Per Stanford’s Minimum Security Standards for applications, periodically review who can access sensitive information in Smartsheet.
$340 per license, renewed annually on Nov 1, regardless of the initial purchase date. You must provide a departmental PTA to be billed for the license.
- New purchases will be pro-rated quarterly based on the Nov. 1 date
- Smartsheet licenses automatically renew each year on Nov. 1. The PTA on file will be charged for the renewal unless you cancel with UIT prior to Oct. 31 by submitting a Help request.
- If you cancel, previous charges cannot be refunded, but you may continue to use the service until the end of the term you paid for or transfer your subscription to another individual with a SUNet ID.
Who needs to purchase a Smartsheet license?
A Smartsheet license is required to create new content (sheets, reports, dashboards, forms); modify sheet structures (add/move/delete/reformat columns); and manage resources. It is not necessary to purchase licenses for individuals who will be collaborators (i.e., those who need only to view sheets and update rows). A Sheet owner may share a sheet with any individual who needs to collaborate as a viewer and updater — no license required for the collaborator.
NOTE: When sharing a sheet with a colleague, be sure to use the SUNetID@stanford.edu form of the person's email address to ensure a smooth login experience.
Go to the Stanford Software Licensing Web Store to purchase your license. A Department PTA is required.
Submit a Help request if you have questions about setting up a Smartsheet account or switching from an individually purchased account to the centralized Stanford Smartsheet. Information about how to use the tool may be found in the “Help” section within the application and via the Get Started with Smartsheet page.
- Submit a Help request for assistance with account setup
- Visit the Smartsheet Support Center for information about the tool itself — current system status information is available at http://status.smartsheet.com/
- Current system status information is available here
- Submit specific questions about using the tool at smartsheet.com/gethelp
- Become a Smartsheet power user: Take the Smartsheet training class or request custom individual or team training from University IT Tech training
- Visit Smartsheet's website to learn more
- Enroll in Smartsheet’s live online training, SmartStart
- View the recordings from Stanford's Smartsheet Days Event (Note: You will need a SUNet ID to access this page)
- Smartsheet Approved for PHI and Other High Risk Data
- Align Your Teams with Smartsheet
- Stanford Colleagues Reveal Their Formulas for Smartsheet Success