Owners of Stanford workgroups can use Workgroup Integration to create a new Google Group using the existing Stanford workgroup name and membership.
Once the Google Group is created and linked to your workgroup, you must use Workgroup Manager to maintain membership for Stanford users. Non-Stanford users can be added within Google Apps, not Workgroup Manager.
- You can designate a Google Group as the membership for a Shared drives.
- Workgroup Integration cannot be used to create Google Groups from personal workgroups.
- You should not rename a Google Group through your Google Group's management interface. A renamed group and its data is automatically deleted without notice when a synchronization job runs to update Google Groups.
- If you unlink a Google Group, the group and its data in Google is deleted.
- You should not delete a Google Group through your Google Group's management interface. If you delete a Google Group through your Google Group's management interface, the workgroup linkage is left in an orphan state and cannot be synchronized. It is recommended that you go to Workgroup Manager to unlink the Google Group linkage to cleanly remove the linkage
To link a workgroup to a Google Group:
- Log in to Workgroup Manager.
- You'll see a list of all the workgroups for which you are the administrator. Click the name of the workgroup that you want to use to create a Google Group.
- When the members of the workgroup display, click the Workgroup Integration tab.
- Click the Link associated with Google Group.
- In the next window, click Link Workgroup.
Note: The workgroup linkage process can take a few minutes. Please do not reload the page.
- When the linkage process has completed, the Workgroup Integration window shows the workgroup linked to Google Group.
Note: Please allow up to 24 hours for a linked Google Group to show up on the Google Groups management site.