The Stanford ID (variously known as the Campus Card, University ID, or Student ID) serves as: an identification card; an electronic key card controlling access to residence and dining halls, libraries, recreational facilities, and staff office buildings; and purchasing goods with Cardinal dollars. See Applications and Services for more information.
Courtesy cards are issued to certain university affiliates, including spouses/domestic partners of eligible employees. Recreation access cards are also available for dependents. See the Courtesy and Recreation ID Cards webpage for more information.
- Cardinal Dollars (prepaid dining dollars used only at Residential & Dining Enterprises (R&DE) dining locations, and some retail locations). Cardinal Dollars can be purchased online by students (and their parents), faculty, and staff.
- The StanfordCardPlan allows students to pay for goods and services on campus, including the Stanford Bookstores and other retail locations.
- Stanford policies govern the issuance of ID cards. These policies are contained in Administrative Guide Memo 2.4.3, Stanford Identification Cards.
- In certain circumstances individuals who are not Stanford employees; Stanford students enrolled in a degree-granting program; Stanford fellows accepted in an official University fellowship program; or qualifying visiting scholars may not be issued an ID card and may have limitations on certain campus privileges.
The campus card system is a closed, proprietary system that runs on its own hardware and software. To learn more, see Maintenance and protection of campus card system electronic records on the Security and Confidentiality web page.
- Damaged card: Bring it to the ID Card Office (see the ID Card Rates page).
- Lost or stolen card: Report loss immediately so it can be suspended for all on-campus use. Lost cards can be reported a via Help ticket (see the ID Card Rates page).
- Replacement card: Go to the ID Card Office on the second floor of Tresidder Union. Card Office staff can replace your card on the spot, using the same or a new photo (see the ID Card Rates page).
- Malfunctioning card: Report card malfunctions (e.g., the card doesn't provide access to your office or you can't access the funds in your StanfordCardPlan account to buy lunch) via a Help ticket. Students can also visit the ID Card Office on the second floor of Tresidder Memorial Union (see the ID Card Rates page).