The Stanford ID (variously known as the Campus Card, University ID, or Student ID) serves as: an identification card; an electronic key card controlling access to residence and dining halls, libraries, recreational facilities, and staff office buildings; and purchasing goods with Cardinal dollars. See Applications and Services for more information.
Courtesy cards are issued to certain university affiliates, including spouses/domestic partners of eligible employees. Recreation access cards are also available for dependents. See the Courtesy and Recreation ID Cards webpage for more information.
- Cardinal Dollars (prepaid dining dollars used only at Residential & Dining Enterprises (R&DE) dining locations, and some retail locations). Cardinal Dollars can be purchased online by students (and their parents), faculty, and staff.
- The StanfordCardPlan allows students to pay for goods and services on campus, including the Stanford Bookstores and other retail locations.
- Stanford policies govern the issuance of ID cards. These policies are contained in Administrative Guide Memo 2.4.3, Stanford Identification Cards.
- In certain circumstances individuals who are not Stanford employees; Stanford students enrolled in a degree-granting program; Stanford fellows accepted in an official University fellowship program; or qualifying visiting scholars may not be issued an ID card and may have limitations on certain campus privileges.
The campus card system is a closed, proprietary system that runs on its own hardware and software. To learn more, see Maintenance and protection of campus card system electronic records on the Security and Confidentiality web page.
Our office is by appointment only, please browse the forms available and submit a Help Ticket to schedule an appointment.
- Damaged card: Bring it to the ID Card Office (see the ID Card Rates page).
- Lost or stolen card: Report loss immediately so it can be suspended for all on-campus use. Lost cards can be reported a via Help ticket (see the ID Card Rates page).
- Replacement card: Go to the ID Card Office on the second floor of Tresidder Union. Card Office staff can replace your card on the spot, using the same or a new photo (see the ID Card Rates page).
- Malfunctioning card: Report card malfunctions (e.g., the card doesn't provide access to your office or you can't access the funds in your StanfordCardPlan account to buy lunch) via a Help ticket. Students can also visit the ID Card Office on the second floor of Tresidder Memorial Union (see the ID Card Rates page).