Your Stanford University ID Card is your key to surviving on campus. It serves as an identification card and an electronic key, allowing you to easily enter facilities, or it allows you to use services for which you have privileges. See the categories below for all the ways you can use your Stanford ID card, or to learn more, visit the Campus Card Services website.
Using your Stanford ID card
- With your Stanford ID card, you can enter your assigned residence, dormitory, building, or office. Access is given by your building facilities manager or Housing Assignments.
- Access campus libraries. For University Library access and borrowing, go to sulair.stanford.edu/using
- Access recreational facilities, such as gyms, swimming pools, tennis courts, racquetball, squash, and the rock climbing wall.
- Access the Stanford Golf Course (fees apply).
- Use campus copiers and networked printers. Many locations require that you register your card with your local IT CRC staff member for your building.
- Obtain a Go Pass or ECO Pass. For more information, please go to transportation.stanford.edu/transit/free-transit-and-incentives or call 650-723-9362.
- Obtain student health services (students only).
- Obtain courtesy cards for your spouse or registered domestic partner for a fee of $25 (regular, benefits-eligible employees only). Proof of marriage or registered partnership required.
- Obtain recreation cards for your dependents under the age of 26 for access to the Athletics facilities for a fee of $25 (available to dependent children of Stanford faculty, staff, students, and Visiting Scholars). Proof of dependency required, such as Stanford benefits page showing dependents listed, birth certificates, health insurance cards with dependents' names listed, or tax forms.
- Purchase meal plans to dine in residence dining halls and other auxiliary retail locations on campus (i.e., The Treehouse, Jamba Juice, The Coffee House, Stern's Dining, Subway, Olives, The Market at Munger, The Cafe at LKSC). Or, visit the Arrillaga Family Commons in person at 489 Arguello Way (corner of Arguello and Escondido).
- Add Cardinal Dollars to purchase meals at Stanford Dining locations and retail cafes. Cardinal Dollars may be purchased with a credit card or with cash at the Arrillaga Family Dining Commons, Meal Plan Office, at 489 Arguello Way (corner of Arguello and Escondido).
Tickets and discounts
- Purchase tickets for athletic events.
- Purchase tickets to Stanford Live events and Department of Music events.
- Many area businesses give Stanford affiliates a discount if you show your ID Card. Inquire at the cash register when you make your purchase.
How to sign up for a SUNet ID
There are two types of SUNet IDs:
- Full SUNet ID: access to Stanford log-in computers, plus email. This requires department approval, and there is a monthly department fee.
- Base Level SUNet ID: computer log-in only, no email (free)
StanfordCardPlan (students only)
Pay for textbooks at the Stanford Bookstore, meals, and incidentals through the StanfordCardPlan
The StanfordCardPlan allows students to use their Stanford ID card to make purchases of up to $1,000 per quarter at the Stanford Bookstore and other on-campus locations, with charges going directly to the student's University bill. The StanfordCardPlan accommodates the needs of students who often must purchase books and other necessities early in the quarter before their financial aid is available. To participate in the StanfordCardPlan, students may sign up for the StanfordCardPlan via Axess. Go to the Student Center tab, under the Finances section, choose StanfordCardPlan from the dropdown menu and follow the prompts. Students must confirm their agreement to the Terms and Conditions of the StanfordCardPlan to participate.
Need help finding your way? A searchable campus map is available online.