Skip to content Skip to site navigation Skip to service navigation

ID Card Office

Due to the COVID-19 restrictions, the ID Card Office is available by appointment only.

**We are only issuing University ID cards to those that are required to perform their job duties in a University building or require a card to enter their residence.**

The School of Medicine and hospital buildings are managed by the hospital badging office, their ID Card Office can be reached at (650)498-6290

Once the restrictions are lifted we will be able to issue all other cards.

We are working remote, for the quickest response, please submit a ServiceNow Ticket or call (650) 725-2434. We will continue to respond to tickets and calls during our regular hours.

** SRWC ID Card Office will be closed until further notice **


In September 2020, the ID Card Office will begin issuing Stanford ID cards without the magnetic stripe, or magstripe, on the back.

Stanford ID cards with an existing magstripe will continue to work with magstripe card readers found at many campus buildings, dining halls, and cafes. However, cards issued after September 1, 2020 will not have a magstripe and will not be able to use a magstripe reader. This includes all newly issued student, faculty, and staff cards as well as replacement cards.

Departments and groups that magstripe readers may contact Card Services Director Jay Kohn ( to work on an alternative solution for their location.

The Stanford ID Card Office oversees the production of new and replacement cards, maintains a card information database of students, faculty and staff; installs and maintains card readers; and assists in developing new Stanford ID Card applications.

Historic Campus Location

ID Card Office
Tresidder Memorial Union
459 Lagunita Drive, 2nd Floor
Stanford, CA 94305



Stanford Redwood City Location

ID Card Office (Opens July 24, 2019)
University Hall
485 Broadway, 1st Floor
Redwood City, CA 94063



Please note: Cable services are not available at the SRWC location.


(650) 498-CARD

Eligibility for a Stanford ID Card

ID card eligibility is established by Administrative Guide Memo 2.4.3. You will find a summary of the types of cards, the eligibility criteria, and the privileges granted by each card type. A summary chart of privileges may be viewed here. ID cards may only be used by the person they are issued to.

Obtaining a Stanford ID Card

If you are a new undergraduate student, you can submit your photo online via the Approaching Stanford Forms.

New graduate students should upload their photo via the Photo Upload webpage.

If you are a new employees eligible for an ID card, you can have your photo taken and obtain your card at the ID Card Office at Tresidder Union, 2nd floor. Call 498-CARD (8-2273) first to make sure your personnel information is available (to ensure that all personnel information has been processed and a Stanford ID number assigned).

Change of status with the university


Student ID cards are deactivated when you fail to enroll for any quarter other than summer quarter, or if you graduate. If you re-enroll at a later date, you can reactivate your card at the ID Card Office.

Staff, visiting scholars, and fellows

When your employment status changes to one which is no longer entitled to campus privileges, your card will not grant you access to university facilities and services. Your manager or HR officer collects your cards when your employment at Stanford ends, and must be surrendered to an appropriate university employee upon request.

Change of name

The name on your identification card must match the name in Stanford's official student or employment records. If your legal name changes, you must change your name in the official University records before you request a new ID card. Students can request this name change through the Student Services Center. Faculty and staff should request a name change through the Human Resources administrator. All replacement cards are $25 payable by Visa, Mastercard, and Discover.

Learn more

To learn more about ID Card Office services, call the office at (650) 498-CARD (8-2273).

Last modified August 26, 2020