You Can’t Hangout — But You Can Google Chat
Beginning Feb. 18, Google Chat will replace the classic Hangouts, a transition Google began last year in an effort to build out the Google Workspace experience.
Chat has many of the same features found in Hangouts, plus additional ones that enhance the messaging platform, including:
- Strong phishing protection
- Chrome app for devices running Chrome 73 or up
- @mentions, formatting, and threaded spaces
- Learn more about Google Chat features
Who will this impact?
Hangout users. After this change, you will no longer have access to Hangouts, but you will find that your Hangouts conversations, contacts, and history will have been moved to Chat.
While Google Chat is currently not broadly available university-wide, this upgrade will allow anyone with a Stanford account (@stanford.edu) to use the messaging app. However, please note that Chat support may be limited as it is not one of the university’s recommended collaboration tools.
- Visit this Google's support page to learn more about this change.
- Get started with Google Chat.
- Learn about the differences between Google Chat and classic Hangouts.
- Get tips to effectively manage multiple Google accounts.
- For additional support, please submit a Help request.