Effective immediately in response to COVID-19, most Technology Training classes will be delivered online until further notice.
In advance of each session, Tech Training will provide you with a Zoom link to your class, along with any required class materials.
Do you want to learn how to design a logo? This course will help participants understand graphic design and typography best practices and encourage them to apply design thinking to create a logo using Adobe Illustrator.
Prerequisites: No prior experience is necessary. Just bring your creative and open mind.
By the end of this class, participants will have the opportunity to:
- Learn how to design a visually effective logo
- Understand basic design concepts in graphic design and typography
- Apply strategies with step-by-step instructions in Illustrator to create a design solution
We will explore these design objectives:
- Design process: research/brainstorming/sketching, comps, design
- Elements of Graphic Design: form, contrast, color, balance, proportion/scale
- Typographic composition: size, scale, weights, placement
- Font selection: serif, sans-serif, subject, theme, emotion
- Adobe Illustrator: step-by-step learning to create the designs
- Technical: file-preparation, printing, social media
- Brief History of Logo design
- Elements of Graphic Design
- Principles of Typography: best practices, leading, kerning
- Adobe Illustrator: setting up documents, shape tools, type tool, pen tool, using layers, color modes and swatches, file preparation for production and posting online
Requirement: Computer with Adobe Illustrator installed, or a free trial license.
University IT Technology Training classes are only available to Stanford University staff, faculty, students and Stanford Hospitals & Clinics employees. A valid SUNet ID is needed in order to enroll in a class.