Effective immediately in response to COVID-19, most Technology Training classes will be held online until further notice.
In advance of each session, Tech Training will provide you with a Zoom link to your class, along with any required class materials.
Get an overview of various mobile application development technologies with a focus into Android development framework. This class covers the setup of Android Studio, the IDE for developing Android apps, and the implementation of a simple Android app.
Prerequisite: A knowledge of basic programming concepts are recommended.
Mobile applications are software applications developed for mobile devices such as smartphones, tablets, and smart watches. Mobile apps can have a wide range of uses, from utility, productivity, and navigation, to entertainment, sports, fitness, and just about any others conceivable.
Most online entities now have mobile apps available to customers. Tablet and smartphone usage is outstripping that of desktop computers and laptops. As a result, industry is trending to a mobile-first approach, where the mobile versions of the apps are the defaults. Mobile apps are generally downloaded from application distribution platforms, which are operated by the mobile operating system owners such as the App Store (iOS) or Google Play Store. There are mainly three kinds of mobile apps -- native, hybrid, and web-based.
The course will deliver an outline of these various kinds of apps and the technologies involved in their development. As Android is the most popular mobile platform with the largest user base, the session dives into the setup and development process for Android apps. We will install Android Studio, which is the most common IDE for Android development. Android Studio also provides a set of tools that can be used to test the Android apps. We will create a simple Android app and run it on the emulator. We will look into how to build simple UI layouts, navigate between different UI screens, and persist information on the device.
In this course, you will have an opportunity to:
- Relate to the significance of mobile apps in the present-day world
- Draw highlights of the various mobile app development platforms
- Set up a development environment for Android apps
- Understand high-level architecture of Android framework
- Get an outline of the different Android application components
- Build simple UI layouts in Android apps
- Deploy and interact with the sample app on an emulator
- Course introduction
- Discuss briefly about the increasing usage of mobile apps
- Talk about different mobile application platforms
- Review different kinds of mobile apps and the development technologies involved
- Dive deep into Android platform
- Introduction to different components in Android framework
- Install Android Studio
- Setup emulator using Android Studio
- Build an Android app with couple of screens and simple UI layouts
- Run the app on emulator and test it
- References to learn more