Effective immediately in response to COVID-19, most Technology Training classes will be delivered online until further notice.
In advance of each session, Tech Training will provide you with a Zoom link to your class, along with any required class materials.
This course takes a deep dive into Adobe Illustrator's often overlooked modify tools and Object menu, covering the customization of illustration modifiers, masks and pattern options, and creating object mosaics from your drawings.
This is the fifth session of the Stanford University Technology Training Illustration learning path proficiency certification. This learning path includes six sessions and a final exam challenge. In order to obtain your certificate of completion, you must attend at least three of the sessions in the learning path and successfully pass the final exam challenge.
- Have either taken the previous classes in the Adobe Illustrator Typography and Text Manipulation learning path, or have equivalent experience of the topics taught.
- Allow each learner to experiment with various modify tools
- Apply unique modifications to their illustrations beyond the default settings
- Explore how creative options in the Objects menu can transform your drawing
- Create a narrative textile pattern
- Demonstrate your understanding of the course topics by passing the learning assessment
This course takes a deep dive into Adobe Illustrator's often overlooked modify tools and Object menu. We'll cover
- The hidden possibilities and customization options within the sub-menus
- How to customize modifiers to take your illustrations to the next level
- How the masks and pattern options make for quick compositing
- How to create cool object mosaics out of your drawings
Should I Take This Course?
This course is for learners who would like a deeper understanding of Illustrator's modify tools customizable options, how to get wonderful results from the functions in the Object menu, and who'd like to learn some fresh techniques. You are ready for this course if you:
- Feel comfortable navigating Illustrator's interface, using Selection Tools, and importing files
- Know how to use and customize shapes
- Know how to access and customize groups and libraries
By the end of this course, learners will be able to:
- Identify the best practices for transforming, grouping, expanding, and rasterizing objects
- Comprehend mysterious features like Make Pixel Perfect and Envelope Distort
- Problem-solve compositing images using clipping masks
- Revise Image Trace settings for your desired result
- Generate Object Mosaics and Patterns for your narrative textile
This course has interactive exercises with demonstrations and a typography activity that will be completed during class. There will be requests for participation and discussion, and handouts will be provided. Note taking and questions are encouraged.
Technology Requirement: Have access to Adobe Illustrator on your device. Trial download information will be shared with enrolled learners before the start of the class.
University IT Technology Training classes are only available to Stanford University staff, faculty, students and Stanford Hospitals & Clinics employees. A valid SUNet ID is needed in order to enroll in a class.