Effective immediately in response to COVID-19, most Technology Training classes will be delivered online until further notice.
In advance of each session, Tech Training will provide you with a Zoom link to your class, along with any required class materials.
You have the Illustrator basics down, and now ready for the most incredible features that will make your typography projects stand out. Learn how to create customized effects, gradients, patterns, and brushes, and delve deeper into 3D!
This is the sixth session of the Stanford University Technology Training Adobe Illustrator Typography and Text Manipulation learning path proficiency certification. This learning path includes six sessions and a final exam challenge. In order to obtain your certificate of completion, you must attend at least three of the sessions in the learning path and successfully pass the final exam challenge.
- Have either taken the previous classes in the Adobe Illustrator Typography and Text Manipulation learning path, or have equivalent experience of the topics taught.
You've learned the Adobe Illustrator basics, typography fundamentals, and are confident with the tools and menus. Now you're ready for the most incredible features that will make your typography projects stand out from the crowd. You'll create customized effects, gradients, patterns, and brushes, and delve deeper into 3D! You'll also learn the best practices to output your files.
- Customize Effect options for typography results beyond default settings
- Learn more advanced applications of the Gradient Tool to add dimension to your letters
- Experiment with all the Symbol options
- Create custom patterns for texture and to add more visual interest to your typography
- Learn a frustration-free approach to working with Illustrator's 3D Tool
- Build a stunning marquee image with 3D type
Learning Outcomes/Course Objectives
By the end of this course, learners will be able to:
- Recognize the best strategies for file output, both print and digital.
- Explore advanced applications of the Gradient Tool to add dimension to your letters.
- Discover each of Illustrator's Effect options and customize your type effortlessly.
- Simplify a frustration-free approach to working with Illustrator's 3D Tool.
- Re-design brushes to add detail and depth to your project.
- Generate custom patterns to incorporate texture and visual interest with your typography.
Should I Take This Course?
This course is for creatives who would like to learn colorful and artistic options for typography projects and gain a more robust understanding of the Objects Menu. You are ready for this course if you:
- Are comfortable using the Paintbrush Tool
- Know how to use the Perspective Grid Tool and Mesh Tool
- Know how to access and create libraries and groups
You are an advanced user in this course if you can answer yes to all of the following questions:
- Do you know how to adjust the blend steps of an extruding 3D letter?
- Can you define a Symbol Instance?
- Do you know how to create a gradient mesh to the edge of an object?
Technology Requirement: Have access to Adobe Illustrator on your device. Trial download information will be shared with enrolled learners before the start of the class.
University IT Technology Training classes are only available to Stanford University staff, faculty, students and Stanford Hospitals & Clinics employees. A valid SUNet ID is needed in order to enroll in a class.