Effective immediately in response to COVID-19, most Technology Training classes will be delivered online until further notice.
In advance of each session, Tech Training will provide you with a Zoom link to your class, along with any required class materials.
You will have a blast learning how Illustrator's drawing tools can improve your typography. Become more comfortable using the Pen Tool, customizing shapes, using the Pencil and Paintbrush Tools, adding perspective, and much more.
This is the fourth session of the Stanford University Technology Training Adobe Illustrator Typography and Text Manipulation learning path proficiency certification. This learning path includes six sessions and a final exam challenge. In order to obtain your certificate of completion, you must attend at least three of the sessions in the learning path and successfully pass the final exam challenge.
- Have either taken the previous classes in the Adobe Illustrator Typography and Text Manipulation learning path, or have equivalent experience of the topics taught.
In this session, learn how Adobe Illustrator's drawing tools can take your typography to the next level. We will cover:
- How to harness the power of the mighty Pen Tool, and take control of a letter's anchor points
- Helpful solutions to make more attention-grabbing headlines and intriguing sidebars with the incorporation of custom shapes
- How to create cool text effects (from vintage to current trends)
- How to add perspective to your type to add dimension
- Best practices for some of the lesser-known drawing tools
- Learn the best strategies for using the Pen, Pencil, and Paintbrush Tools
- Create and customize custom shapes
- Have the opportunity to experiment with obscure tools like Polar Grid, Flare, and Blob
- Learn how to add perspective to type
- Create a digital event invitation
- Demonstrate your understanding of the course topics by passing the learning assessment
This course is for creatives who would like to learn how to apply the drawing tools to typography projects, and would like to add unique tricks to their skillset. You are ready for this course if you:
- Know how to use the Touch Type Tool
- Feel comfortable navigating Illustrator's interface, using selection tools, and importing files
- Know how to use the modify tools to transform type
By the end of this course, you will feel comfortable using the Pen Tool, customizing shapes, using the Pencil and Paintbrush Tools, adding perspective, and much more.
This course has interactive exercises with demonstrations, and a typography activity that will be completed during class. There will be requests for participation and discussion, and handouts will be provided. Note taking and questions are encouraged.
Have access to Adobe Illustrator on your device. Trial download information will be shared with enrolled learners before the start of the class.
University IT Technology Training classes are only available to Stanford University staff, faculty, students and Stanford Hospitals & Clinics employees. A valid SUNet ID is needed in order to enroll in a class.