Effective immediately in response to COVID-19, most Technology Training classes will be delivered online until further notice.
In advance of each session, Tech Training will provide you with a Zoom link to your class, along with any required class materials.
In this course, get hyper-creative with Illustrator's painting tools combined with the Objects menu. This menu contains some of the most powerful options for typography tricks, like coloring your typography, creating masks, meshes, blends, and much more.
This is the fifth session of the Stanford University Technology Training Adobe Illustrator Typography and Text Manipulation learning path proficiency certification. This learning path includes six sessions and a final exam challenge. In order to obtain your certificate of completion, you must attend at least three of the sessions in the learning path and successfully pass the final exam challenge.
Have either taken the previous classes in the Adobe Illustrator Typography and Text Manipulation learning path, or have equivalent experience of the topics taught.
Should I Take This Course?
This course is for creatives who would like to learn colorful and artistic options for typography projects and gain a stronger understanding of the Objects menu. You are ready for this course if you:
- Feel comfortable navigating Illustrator's interface, using selection tools, and importing files.
- Know how to use and customize shapes.
- Know how to access and create color groups.
- Know how to use the Perspective Grid Tool.
- Take advantage of Illustrator's efficient Live Paint and Paint Selection Tools
- Apply multi-color variations with the Gradient Tool to type
- Experiment with the Shape Builder Tool and Pathfinder options to create letterforms
- Explore creative options in the Objects menu
- Create a letterform with depth using the Mesh Tool
- Demonstrate your understanding of the course topics by passing the learning assessment
In this intermediate course, we will get hyper-creative with Adobe Illustrator's painting tools combined with the Objects menu. This particular menu contains some of the most powerful options for typography tricks but is often overlooked.
By the end of this course, you will have the opportunity to learn how to:
- Color your typography masterpiece with swift efficiency
- Create masks, meshes, blends, and patterns
- Add photo realism to your text with the Mesh Tool
- Precisely use each of the functions in the Objects menu
By the end of this course, learners will be able to:
- Define the customizable options in the Objects menu.
- Understand the settings in the Brush Options popup windows to create unique brushes.
- Change the appearance of type using the new-and-improved Gradient Tool.
- Break down the difference between the Shape Builder Tool and Pathfinder.
- Designate where to place points on type to best apply a mesh.
- Design a colorful, textured letterform using Live Paint and Option menu features.
This course has interactive exercises with demonstrations, and a typography activity that will be completed during class. There will be requests for participation and discussion, and handouts will be provided. Note taking and questions are encouraged.
Technology Requirement: Have access to Adobe Illustrator on your device. Trial download information will be shared with enrolled learners before the start of the class.
University IT Technology Training classes are only available to Stanford University staff, faculty, students and Stanford Hospitals & Clinics employees. A valid SUNet ID is needed in order to enroll in a class.