The Enterprise Cloud Backup service provides clients with a simple and secure method for backing up their cloud servers and on-premise devices to Amazon Web Services (AWS)/Simple Storage Service(S3). This solution encrypts the data in transit and at rest.
- The service offers backup of on-premise servers and compute instances running in the cloud.
- The supported Iaas storage platform is Amazon Web Services (AWS)/Simple Storage Service (S3).
- The service provides support for Linux, Windows, and Mac server-based environments.
- Once configured, servers are automatically backed up on a schedule of your choice to AWS/S3.
- Files that are accidentally overwritten or deleted can be restored easily by a user from a desktop client. File recovery is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year.
- The service provides both image-level and file-based backup.
Stanford faculty and staff
To obtain this service, faculty and staff must have a valid Stanford PTA.
This service meets the Information Security Office requirements.
With the exception of UIT system administrators and the service provider who administer the backup system (AWS S3), only you have access to your data. University IT (UIT) system administrators must have access to the data in order to operate the service, however, they are bound by strict confidentiality agreements and by university policy to protect the security of the data.
The backup data is encrypted in transit and at rest and stored in AWS S3.
For more information on data security, review the data risk classifications webpage.
The service is available by subscription and is charged monthly.
Users will receive two separate monthly bills for this service:
- AWS S3 monthly storage charges, a direct pass-through from Amazon, and
- Enterprise Cloud Backup service charges from University IT. The rate for the UIT service is $13 per month, per server.
- Request service: To request the service, complete this form. Be sure to include as much information as possible, including the number of systems to be backed up, the location, the name of the systems, and contact information.
- Get more information: To get more information, including about installing, configuring, and maintaining the service, complete this help form.
The Enterprise Cloud Backup service is monitored 24x7x365 for performance and component failures. The service team is alerted to failures, responds to these alerts, and works with you to troubleshoot any issues.
If an issue arises and you need help, contact us through this form.
Compare carious backup solutions in this Backup Solutions Summary Chart.