Change Management is the process responsible for managing all changes to the production operations environment from inception to completion. To successfully manage change throughout Stanford, assurance of all modifications are recorded and authorized at the appropriate level. Change Management helps organizations understand and work to minimize risks of changes to the IT environment.
The goal of the Change Management process is to conduct a formal, standardized methodology in the handling of all Changes in order to be transparent on our work, prevent change-related incidents, minimize negative impact on delivery of services to our users and clients.
- To improve the quality of changes by ensuring that a standard methodology is used to handle all changes and control the impact upon the day-to-day operations of the organization.
- To reduce the potential for change induced incidents by providing a standard, formal, approach to handling a change.
- To ensure that all changes are logged (or captured) in a centralized repository where the information can be shared by other processes.
- To assess all changes based on their impact, benefit and risk to the business and to approve or decline the request for change accordingly.
- To schedule all changes based on the requirements of the business, the availability of appropriate resources and in consideration of other changes being deployed.
- To ensure that all changes are appropriately tested and certified and that the appropriate implementation and remediation plans are available.
- To provide timely communication of change plans and schedules as well as the status of all changes to appropriate stakeholders and affected users.
- To provide general reporting capabilities against the repository of changes, including trending information and specific metrics relevant to the process.
A Change Request is required when there is an addition, modification, or removal of any IT Service, system or component(s) that are part of a Production environment as well as all services with agreements that specifically state service levels and environment up-time, are subject to the Change Management process and policies.
- ServiceNow Change Management system provides ability to:
- Create and track changes
- Schedule Changes and related Outages
- Request Approval and approve scheduling of changes
- View Change Calendar and send Notifications
- ServiceNow Change Management also
- Classifies changes based on Affected and/or Impacted Services
- Rate Changes based on Risk & Impact to operations
- Provides a review process for specific changes
- University IT Personnel
- Eligible University School & Department Staff
Free of charge
To get started using the ServiceNow Change Management System complete ServiceNow training. View and register for training. After completing the required training, request that your manager add you to the ServiceNow group for access.
For more information, send email to the University IT Change Management Team.