Effective immediately in response to COVID-19, most Technology Training classes will be delivered online until further notice.
In advance of each session, Tech Training will provide you with a Zoom link to your class, along with any required class materials.
In this six-hour course, you will have the opportunity to learn how to layout a visually compelling four-page newsletter by going step-by-step in InDesign.
Prerequisite: No prior experience is necessary. Just bring your creative and open mind.
Best practices to learn typography and design are an integral part of the class so that the visual components of your newsletter will be effective in conveying the subject matter and in a viewer.
Create visually effective designs to convey your subject matter and connect with your audience by learning and applying best typography and design practices. This introductory course in InDesign will cover basic principles of typography and graphic design.
By the end of this class, participants will have the opportunity to:
- Understand page layouts, with a focus on newsletter design and layouts (including headings, body text, placing images and graphics)
- Learn and apply best typographic practices with step-by-step instructions in InDesign to create your own design solution
Design Concepts Covered:
- Design process: research/brainstorming/sketching, comps, design
- Elements of Graphic Design: hierarchy, emphasis, rhythm, movement, contrast, color, balance, proportion/scale
- Typographic composition: size, scale, weights, placement
- Font selection: serif, sans-serif, subject, theme, emotion
- Working with images: image file preparation, placement
- Adobe InDesign and Photoshop: step-by-step learning to create the designs
- Technical: file-preparation, printing, posting online
- Principles of Typography: best practices, leading, kerning
- Elements of Graphic Design
- Adobe InDesign: setting up documents, type tool, using layers, paragraph styles, color modes and swatches, working with images, file preparation for production and posting online
Requirement: Computer with Adobe InDesign installed, or a free trial license
University IT Technology Training classes are only available to Stanford University staff, faculty, students and Stanford Hospitals & Clinics employees. A valid SUNet ID is needed in order to enroll in a class.