Effective immediately in response to COVID-19, most Technology Training classes will be delivered online until further notice.
In advance of each session, Tech Training will provide you with a Zoom link to your class, along with any required class materials.
This course covers Adobe Illustrator's modify tools and takes a deep dive into the Object and Type menus, specifically for graphic design applications.
This is the fifth session of the Stanford University Technology Training Graphics learning path proficiency certification. This learning path includes six sessions and a final exam challenge. In order to obtain your certificate of completion, you must attend at least three of the sessions in the learning path and successfully pass the final exam challenge.
Have either taken the previous classes in the Adobe Illustrator Typography and Text Manipulation learning path, or have equivalent experience of the topics taught.
- Explore how the modify tools and creative options in the Objects and Type menus can revamp your designs
- Incorporate patterns, mosaics, and meshes into your work to add texture
- Play with Text Wrap
- Create a vintage package design mockup
- Demonstrate your understanding of the course topics by passing the learning assessment
This course covers Adobe Illustrator's modify tools and takes a deep dive into the Object and Type menus, specifically for graphic design applications. We will cover:
- Different type and object modifiers and manipulation strategies
- The possibilities and customization options within the sub-menus
- The helpful capabilities of tools like the Eyedropper and Touch Type
- Best practices for using Clipping Masks
Should I Take This Course?
This course is for learners who would like a deeper understanding of Illustrator¿s modify tools¿ customizable options, and who¿d like to learn some crisp techniques hidden in the Object and Type menus. You are ready for this course if you:
- Feel comfortable navigating Illustrator's interface, using selection tools, and importing files
- Know how to use Touch Type and Live Paint
- Have worked with Mesh
By the end of this course, learners will be able to:
- Recall when to group, expand, or rasterize objects
- Paraphrase the results of different modify tool options and how to use them professionally
- Calculate how to apply a Gradient Mesh to a graphic object
- Separate unwanted elements from photos using clipping masks
- Assess creative applications for the Object Mosaic and Patterns command
- Design a product package using these features to create a vintage appearance
This course has interactive exercises with demonstrations, and a graphic design activity that will be completed during class. There will be requests for participation and discussion, and handouts will be provided. Note taking and questions are encouraged.
Technology Requirement: Participants should have access to Adobe Illustrator on their device. Trial download information will be shared with enrolled learners before the start of the class.
University IT Technology Training classes are only available to Stanford University staff, faculty, students and Stanford Hospitals & Clinics employees. A valid SUNet ID is needed in order to enroll in a class.