Effective immediately in response to COVID-19, most Technology Training classes will be delivered online until further notice.
In advance of each session, Tech Training will provide you with a Zoom link to your class, along with any required class materials.
Boost your illustrations with the Live Paint Tool in Illustrator to speed up the coloring process. This session also covers creating vector objects, use of the Mesh Tool, and converting sketches to vector line art.
This is the fourth session of the Stanford University Technology Training Illustration learning path proficiency certification. This learning path includes six sessions and a final exam challenge. In order to obtain your certificate of completion, you must attend at least three of the sessions in the learning path and successfully pass the final exam challenge.
- Have either taken the previous classes in the Adobe Illustrator Typography and Text Manipulation learning path, or have equivalent experience of the topics taught.
- Introduce best practices for using Illustrator's efficient Live Paint and Paint Selection Tools.
- Adjust multi-color gradients to sections of your drawings
- Play with the Shape Builder Tool and Pathfinder options to create supporting objects
- Create a plant with detail using the Mesh Tool
- Demonstrate your understanding of the course topics by passing the learning assessment
Painting in Adobe Illustrator has never been easier and more fun! We'll cover:
- The handy Live Paint Tool and how to use it to speed up the illustration coloring process
- How to easily create vector objects with the Shape Builder and Pathfinder
- How to make objects appear less flat with the Mesh Tool
- How to quickly convert analog sketches to vector line art with Image Trace
Should I Take This Course?
This course is for creatives who would like to learn about Illustrator's timesaving and dimension-adding paint tools or who would like to improve their color-adding workflow.
You are ready for this course if you:
- Feel comfortable navigating Illustrator's interface, using selection tools, and importing files
- Know how to use the Pen Tool and how to customize shapes
- Know how to access and create color groups
By the end of this course, learners will be able to:
- Label the parts of the Gradient and Image Trace panels
- Identify the benefits of the Shape Builder Tool and Pathfinder
- Use the Gradient Tool for shadows and highlights in your illustration.
- Simplify matching colors in your illustration with colors from a key photo
- Test how the Mesh Tool can make your illustrations more 3-dimensional
- Compose a colorful still-life illustration using Live Paint
This course has interactive exercises with demonstrations and an illustration activity that will be completed during class. There will be requests for participation and discussion, and handouts will be provided. Note taking and questions are encouraged.
Have access to Adobe Illustrator on your device. Trial download information will be shared with enrolled learners before the start of the class.
University IT Technology Training classes are only available to Stanford University staff, faculty, students and Stanford Hospitals & Clinics employees. A valid SUNet ID is needed in order to enroll in a class.