Because of energy and space savings gained by using virtual servers, University IT has adopted a “virtual first” policy. We do recognize that virtual servers are not appropriate for all application needs; see the criteria below for our guidelines.
Unless your application or use requires:
- specific or proprietary hardware peripherals;
- databases or other I/O-intensive services;
- applications or systems that exceed current virtual server performance or capacity thresholds; or
- applications that explicitly do not support virtualization
our policy is to deploy a virtual server.
Additionally, the virtual machine:
- will be hosted in Forsythe Hall (a general virtualization service is not available in other locations at this time);
- if supported by University IT, must run on an OS from the list of supported operating system types.