Administrative Systems offers managed virtual servers as an alternative to managed physical servers. This service takes advantage of virtualization technology to host multiple virtual servers, each of which functions as a complete and independent server, on a single physical server.
- Can be provisioned more quickly than physical servers.
- Uses less power and cooling, supporting university sustainability efforts.
- No need to purchase/refresh equipment.
- Selection of pre-configured sizes.
- 32 GB File Storage.
- 3 snapshots per virtual server at no additional cost.
Current faculty and staff
Service subscription required
- Virtual Servers for Unrestricted Data may be used to store and transmit Low and Moderate Risk Data as defined by the Information Security Office.
- Virtual Servers for Restricted Data may be used to store and transmit Low, Moderate, and High Risk Data as defined by the Information Security Office.
Virtual Server for Restricted Data Note: PCI guidelines require a specific application architecture. The application has to follow a three-tier architecture where the web layer and the application layer run on separate virtual machines. The third tier, the database layer, does not lend itself to a virtual server and should continue to run on a physical server. In addition, PCI guidelines require that the development/test and production versions of the web and application layers run on separate virtual server clusters.
Virtual Server is available by subscription which is charged monthly to your department’s University IT billing statement. To subscribe, submit a request through OrderIT.