IMPORTANT: You must install Kerberos for Windows prior to installing OpenAFS for Windows.
Stanford OpenAFS for Windows is used to access files that reside on an AFS server. The application includes the OpenAFS client (an open source program ) and the Stanford AFS Controller. The AFS Controller provides Stanford-specific extensions to the OpenAFS client for working with Stanford's network.
Stanford OpenAFS provides two main functions:
An AFS volume is a collection of related files and directories that are grouped together as one unit (for example, your home directory). You can use Stanford OpenAFS to mount AFS volumes in your Windows Explorer, to use similarly to the way you would work with any other Windows directory. You can create, name, move, copy, select, delete, rename, print and search for AFS files and directories in your Windows Explorer.
Access control lists (ACLs) are the way that AFS controls access to files and directories. Every directory in AFS has an access control list associated with it.The owner of the directory can determine who appears on the access control list, and what privileges they have. Stanford OpenAFS allows users to define their own pts groups (sometimes referred to as protection groups) and then place the groups on ACLs as though they were individual users.
Installing Stanford OpenAFS
Note: You will be prompted to restart your computer after installing Stanford OpenAFS. If you have PC-AFS installed on your computer, Stanford OpenAFS will remove it before installing. Close all open files on your AFS drives before installing OpenAFS. Otherwise, you may loose data that has not been saved.
- Download and run the OpenAFS installer file.
- At the Welcome window, click Next to continue.
- Accept the terms of the license agreement and then click Next to continue.
- Click the IFS Based Client setup type.
- Select the following configuration options and then click Next.
- Default Cell: ir.stanford.edu
- Integrated logon: Disable
- AFS crypt security: Enable
- Freelance mode: Enable
- Lookup cells in DNS: Enable
- Click Install to start the installation.
- Click Finish .
- Click Yes to restart your computer and complete the installation.
Using Stanford OpenAFS
For instructions on how to use Stanford OpenAFS, see the following:
For more information about AFS, see the File and Data Storage: AFS website.