Learn how to improve your website’s accessibility through upcoming Siteimprove training
As a site owner, you want your website to offer the best experience possible for all audiences.
Broken links and misspelled words are embarrassing. But other issues, many of which aren't easily detected, may have a far greater impact. Missing image descriptions, lack of video captions and unstructured web pages are accessibility issues that prevent individuals with disabilities from accessing and participating in your content.
That's why it’s important to develop an ongoing practice of scanning and monitoring your site to identify accessibility issues.
This may seem like a daunting task but the Stanford Office of Digital Accessibility can provide you with the tools, training and techniques to resolve accessibility issues. Our goal is to help make it possible for everyone— including individuals with disabilities—to engage with your content.
Where to begin
At Stanford, we use Siteimprove, a tool that provides accessibility and quality assurance scans on public-facing websites to monitor and identify potential issues.
Siteimprove will scan your website every few days to highlight potential accessibility issues and provide developers and content authors with suggestions to resolve those errors. The tool can also be used to track accessibility conformance over time and alert web teams to changes in the overall accessibility status of the website.
In addition, Siteimprove’s reporting provides information about:
- accessibility errors and best practices
- broken or invalid hyperlinks
- misspelled words
- effective Search Engine Optimization
- the number of pages, links, documents, media files, and other elements on your site
To learn more about Siteimprove, register for new user training hosted by the Office of Digital Accessibility. This one-hour session is intended for new users and those who have just started using Siteimprove.
Here’s what we’ll cover in this training:
- How to navigate the Siteimprove dashboards and interface
- How to use reports and issue lists to prioritize actions
- How to mark elements as resolved
- How to rescan pages
Resources & Tools
- More information about Siteimprove
- Join the new Slack community #cop-accessibility to ask questions and learn more about accessibility best practices, tools, and resources.
- Learn more about accessibility best practices that can help you improve content clarity and accessibility.
- Use our step-by-step guides for common software applications to improve the accessibility of your digital content and engage with diverse audiences.