The Stanford anti-malware service consists of System Center Endpoint Protection (SCEP), Microsoft's enterprise anti-malware solution. This program protects your computer from viruses, adware/spyware, and other malicious software.
For Windows 7 and 8/8.1 users, University IT also offers the Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit (EMET), a protective Microsoft tool managed by BigFix. While EMET is optional, University IT recommends installing both SCEP and EMET to protect your computer from viruses, adware/spyware, and other malicious software.
For Windows 10 users, your system is already protected with built-in Windows Defender and is compliant with the Stanford Anti-Malware service requirements. You do not have to run the anti-malware installer unless you want to install EMET for additional protection. If your computer is running BigFix, you have the option in the anti-malware installer to opt in to EMET.
- Windows: 126.96.36.199
- Mac: 4.5.27
Supported Operating Systems:
- Windows 7 and 8/8.1 (installing SCEP and EMET)
- Windows 10 (using built-in Windows Defender)
- Mac OS X 10.8 and above
- Faculty, staff, and students on a Stanford-owned computer or a personal computer used for official Stanford work
- The SCEP installer automatically removes the Sophos anti-virus program if it is installed on your computer. To avoid performance impact, University IT recommends manually uninstalling any other anti-virus programs you may have before installing SCEP.
- Stanford anti-malware updates itself automatically so your version of the program will remain up-to-date.
- EMET is managed entirely by Bigfix, so only users with BigFix already installed have the option to add EMET during the SCEP install.
- Although EMET is optional, University IT strongly recommends opting in. EMET protects computers from zero-day attacks — attacks where a major security vulnerability has been discovered for which no patch exists.
- EMET is installed separately by BigFix and generally appears in your list of programs within 15 minutes after the SCEP installation completes.