If you have an existing WordPress site on AFS (or another hosting service) you can migrate your site to Stanford Domains.
It's a good idea to update your site to the latest version of WordPress before migrating it. You should also make a backup copy of your current site.
Step 1: Setup your Stanford Domains account and install WordPress
- Go to domains.stanford.edu.
- Click Get Started and log in with your SUNet ID and password.
- Go to your Dashboard and choose a free subdomain name, e.g., [subdomain].su.domains.
- Create a new WordPress site by clicking on the WordPress icon.
- Visit your new site to ensure the installation was successful.
NOTE: For issues with not having enough memory, please review the section below: Adjust PHP parameters (upload size).
Step 2: Install and Activate the All-In-One WP Migration Plugin
- Login to your current WordPress site.
- In the left-hand menu, click Plugins.
- Click the Add New button.
- In the search box, type All-in-One WP Migration.
- Select the plugin and click Install Now.
- Click Activate.
Step 3: Export your current site
- Log in to your current WordPress site.
- In the left-hand menu, click All-in-One Migration and select Export a File. Be sure to note the file name.
- Identify the location of the exported file on your desktop/laptop and note the size of the file.
- You will see the progress of the export process. When it has completed, click Close.
Step 4: Import your old site to Stanford Domains
- Log in to your WordPress site on Stanford Domains.
- In the left-hand menu, click All-in-One Migration and select Import.
- Browse and select the file you exported from AFS (or another web host). You will see a progress bar as the file is importing.
- Click Finish.
If you get an error about not having enough memory, you will need to adjust the PHP parameters (upload size).
Adjust PHP parameters
- Log in to your Stanford Domains dashboard.
- Under Software, click MultiPHP INI Editor.
- Under Configure PHP INI basic settings, in the Select a location dropdown box, select the domain you want to change.
- Adjust the size in the upload_max_filesize box and click Apply to commit the change.
- Is the site URL secure HTTPS? If it isn’t, you will need to change it in the database. Read Changing the site URL for more information.
- Click through the site’s top nav pages to make sure there are no server errors or blank pages.
Need More Help?
More information about the All-in-One Plugin
Submit a Help request