Oak is a High-Performance Computing (HPC) storage system available to research groups and projects at Stanford for research data. Hosted by the Stanford Research Computing Center (SRCC), Oak provides affordable and scalable storage with a diversity of access methods.
- Filespace - PIs/faculty rent disk space in either 10 or 250 TB increments, on a month-to-month basis, which includes access to:
→ Oak’s shared SSH-based Data Transfer Nodes (DTNs), which accept scp, sftp, rsync or bbcp connections.
→ Oak’s Globus endpoint with Data Sharing.
- Gateway - Optional dedicated gateway to Oak storage, as a separate monthly rental. Each gateway serves a single group and a single protocol. Supported protocols are NFSv4, SMB/CIFS, SFTP and Globus.
All Stanford University research projects and groups, but NOT for individual staff members or students.
- Principal investigators (PIs) with Stanford PTAs
- Healthcare researchers, as well as researchers from the Stanford Linear Accelerator (SLAC
One must be a Stanford Principal Investigator (PI) or faculty member in order to purchase the service.
The service is paid for with a Stanford PTA associated with a department, or a PI/Faculty budget or grant, and is billed monthly.
For more information about data risk classifications, see the Information Security Risk Classification page.
Below are the FY20 rates for the Oak service offerings, along with the official billing system item codes and descriptions.
|Item code||item code description||bill occurence||price||fy|
|OAK 10 TB FILESPACE||Access to & Mgmt of 10 TB Research Storage Space (Filespace)||Monthly||$42.95||2019-2020|
|OAK 250 TB FILESPACE||Access to & Mgmt of 250 TB Research Storage Space (Filespace)||Monthly||$550||2019-2020|
|OAK GATEWAY||Access to & Mgmt of gateway to Oak storage||Monthly||$71||2019-2020|
Keep in mind:
- You should expect an annual rate increase of 3-3.5%; please budget accordingly.
- Oak is a fully cost-recovered service.
- Rates for all services offered through University IT (UIT) are determined annually in accordance with Stanford’s Research Administration and Policy Compliance (RAPC) requirements to ensure compliance with Federal cost principles for educational institutions.
- All costs reflect a per month rate.
- The individual item codes will appear on the monthly billing statements.
- We allow changes and cancellation of service with a 30 days’ advance notice.
- Removal of all data from Oak and notification to research team members of the cancellation is the responsibility of the Principal Investigator.
To order Oak storage, submit an email with the following information to: firstname.lastname@example.org:
1. Desired group/project directory’s name, limited to between 3 and 12 alphanumeric characters:
- The default is to use the PI’s SUNet ID as the group’s directory name, created as/oak/stanford/groups/SUNetID.
- For projects, the chosen directory name will be created in the /oak/stanford/projects/directory instead.
2. The desired quantity of storage space, in increments of 10 TB or 250 TB, with a minimum volume of 10 TB as the initial purchase.
3. The initial list of users on the group/project directory provided as a list of SUNet IDs or Stanford Workgroups (optional).
4. PTA for payment of service, and contact information for staff with authority for the PTA.
5. Contact information for the PI, including email and phone number.
You will be notified via email when your directory has been created. You will also be provided with a workgroup that will allow you to add/remove user access to the directory.
Please contact SRCC at email@example.com to get help with Oak storage.
Learn more about Oak Storage on the About page.
Check out frequently asked questions here.