Designed for server-class computers in UIT-managed data centers, there are two performance tiers: standard and high performance. Network protocols iSCSI, NFS and fiber channel are supported over a private network. The storage can be presented to the server as a local disks (LUNs).
- Used for virtualization storage (datastore)
- Used for database storage
- Used for high-speed storage data access
- Snapshot can be enabled for quick file recovery
Use this option when you…
- Have a physical hardware or virtual server in a UIT-managed data center
- Wish to use network storage options instead of purchasing direct-attached physical hardware
- Can configure a secondary network interface for private network communications
- Want to benefit from virus scanning of data when stored at rest
- Don't wish to purchase and maintain direct-attached physical storage
Example Use Cases
- Serving web application assets and content
- Running a database server and wish to use lower-latency network storage
- Application that requires high-speed storage data access
- Pay by the gigabyte each month
- Monthly iSCSI/LUN storage volume charges are for the entire reserved storage volume
- One-time setup charge is required for physical servers
- Snapshots are free but contribute to usage
- Off-site data replication and traditional backups are optional service (additional cost)
- Network storage support is provided by University IT.
- Support for Server Disk Storage is also provided by UIT professional support teams when it's included as part of an on-campus solution.
- This may be included as part of a fully-managed, fully-supported solution (of your department IT)