Stanford University and School of Medicine
Standard Mailbox — The standard voice mailbox is appropriate where messages need to be received for only one telephone number. Standard mailboxes have the following parameters:
You can request via HelpSU a special feature on any standard mailbox whereby the system recognizes an alternate phone number as belonging to your mailbox. For example, if you add your cell phone as the alternate number, when you call your mailbox from your cell phone it will be as if you're calling from your desk phone: you won't need to enter your ten-digit phone number — only your password.
- store up to 100 messages at any one time
- the personal greeting may be up to 5 minutes in length
- each received message can be up to 5 minutes in length
- archived messages are not automatically deleted; client must manage mailbox
- create up to 15 group distribution lists of up to 25 mailboxes each
Standard Mailbox with Associated Transfer Mailboxes — Secondary numbers are necessary where messages need to be received for more than one telephone number. Standard mailboxes with associated secondary numbers have the same parameters as standard mailboxes. If you need a second phone number associated with your mailbox, submit a HelpSU ticket (helpsu.stanford.edu).
Note: The message waiting light can be associated with only one phone number.
Listen Only Mailbox — Listen Only mailboxes are used to provide information to callers but do not allow them to leave a message as in a standard mailbox. Listen Only mailboxes can include routine/repetitive information that departments may want to provide their clients, such as:
- driving and parking directions
- hours of operation
- event or special program information
- updates on activities where a single recorded announcement can replace a live conversation with department staff
Listen Only mailboxes are typically used in specialized applications such Automated Call Distribution (ACD) and Caller Menu / Phone Trees also known as Auto Attendant applications.
To inquire about using Listen Only mailboxes have your authorized Department IT Contact call the University IT Help Desk at 5-HELP (5-4357) and request that a Consulting Referral be opened for a Service Consultant to contact you.