The Virtual Desktop Infrastructure service (VDI) provides users with the virtual desktop environment and applications that best support their business requirements.
The VDI service team works with each client to develop a custom desktop image that includes required applications; all Essential Stanford Software (ESS); drivers for local peripherals (printers, scanners, etc.); and BigFix software for updating and patching the software. BigFix administrators have the option of continuing to manage their own devices in their BigFix zones.
VDI provides significant cost savings through reduction in support costs. With VDI, you can order as many virtual desktops as you need, and connect to them from anywhere in the world.
Some examples of how clients can benefit from the VDI service include:
- Secure access to shared resources, such as Public Access Terminals (PATs), digital kiosks, and lab machines
- Dedicated, virtual, and secure desktop environments, with anytime, anywhere access.
- Development and ongoing management of a "golden" desktop image that meets the client's business requirements. This image includes the OS, all required applications, and integration of the client's networked peripherals, such as printers, scanners, copiers, etc., into the VDI image during initial setup phase.
- Ongoing management of the golden image with all necessary software changes and security patches, as per security best practices
- Licenses for the operating system, Microsoft Office, and Stanford Essential Software are included in the service rate.