Campus Migration to Office 365 Completed
University IT has completed the migration of more than 40,000 faculty, staff, and student email and calendar accounts to Office 365 in the cloud. The project team, working with staff from across University IT, worked hard to get through the road bumps, and we're proud to say that Stanford is up and running on the new system.
The new system takes advantage of cloud storage and scalability, and also incorporates robust security and Stanford's single sign-on system. We also continue to maintain an Exchange environment on campus on a for-fee basis for those interested in keeping their data on the premises.
A few project metrics that may be of interest:
- Approximately 39,000 email boxes migrated from Zimbra to Office 365 in 10 separate migrations over a two-and-a-half-month period
- Approximately 1,600 email boxes migrated from our on-premise Exchange environment to Office 365
- 32 training and demo sessions held over six weeks, approximately 1,000 attendees overall
- More than 20 staffed walk-up support areas across campus on the first and second mornings of each migration, staffed by CRC and local support
- More than 4,000 HelpSU tickets answered by central and distributed Service Desk staff and project team members